Subject Author Posted Replies

An extension to the BoJo folly...
Mayor of London Boris Johnson announced on Monday that the first zero emissions double decker would be rolled out in an initially limited trial in October
23
23

Suspect emails
McAfee frequently send me information that a suspect email has been received and that I should report it to the sender. These are never from anyone I use, so I ignore them. Should I report them, is...
5
5

loft insulation
Hello, It is been pretty warm in the loft conversion, much warmer than the rest of the house. I was removing some down lighters from the ceiling and looked up through the hole and I cannot see any...
5
5

combi boiler flow rate
Hello, I have moved into a house with an old non-condensing combi boiler. I am thinking of replacing it before the winter but I am unsure what to replace it with. There is a loft conversion with an en...
9
9

Electric shower leaking-OK to leave with water isolated and power off?
A few days ago I noticed a steady drip of water coming from the bottom of a 8.5KW electric shower. - I isolated the water (it has one of these valves - or very similar: on the copper pipe feeding the...
8
8

'scoring' plastic sheet to make hinge - any tips?
Hi All I have a little project in mind which will use some semi-rigid plastic sheet, 2mm or so thick. Something like those thin kitchen chopping boards you sometimes see around. I need to have part of...
13
13

Windows 10 upgrade
Well it's the 29th of June and Microsoft said it would be released today. I've seen no sign of any dowloads for it yet. Yes I did reserve the upgrade and have the little Windows 10 icon sitting in...
32
32

Debit card fraud (OT, a bit long)
OT but so much experience here! Wife noticed this morning that her Barclays current account was £400 down from yesterday, with no transaction listed. She went into the branch and they said "You...
21
21

DIY mosaic job
Incredible. An interesting look at how handmade mosaic tiles are transformed from plain clay into a work of art by these extraordinary craftsman.

house wiring
Hello, I have moved house and I was changing some of the light fittings and light switches to prettier ones. I was surprised to find that downstairs the lights are wired with stranded wire. I hadn't...
49
49

Remotes which learn
It's over 10 years ago since I looked at such products, but there were "4 in 1" type remotes which could record and playback the data stream from the original equipment remote, providing you still had...
18
18

Caravan water heater fault - Truma
Hi All Does anyone have experience of the Truma water heater? I've got one that won't light.
4
4

OT: quote of the day re 'beach bodies'
Perusing the DT, on the killings in Tunisia....(and teh fate of the EU, ref: Greece etc,) this gem emerged... "After these events, I hope this year?s health-and-beauty buzz phrase ?beach body? will be...
47
47

Mobile text messages
I hate the damn things and rarely use them, but what are the practicals of using them please?... I used to have a phone, which I could set to require a delivery receipt, or maybe confirmation of...
5
5

concertina air leak
Many years ago I was given an east german copy of a Hohner concertina, it now suffers from air leaks. The problem is in the fabric that forms the corner folds, it has lost its plastic coating. I was...
9
9