Subject Author Posted Replies

A question of turntables, amps and phono pre-amps.
Against my strongest advice son and his mum purchased a turntable for christmas but couldn't use it as his amps didn't have phono input so today we popped into Richer Sounds and picked up a phono...
3
3

Header tanks, overflows, and open hot water systems.
We've been having trouble with pumping over. On investigation the overflow only goes about a foot above water level at its highest, so it wouldn't take much to make water come out of it. But what is...
8
8

Electricity in Bathrooms
I've just been told by a bathroom company, somewhat to my surprise, that current regs forbid washing machines in bathrooms. I thought they were allowed assuming - outside Zone 2 - No socket, wired in...
46
46

How do I kill messages based on content?
I'm getting rather fed up recently by the number of people who persistently reply to people I've kill-filed, often just to insult them. How can I kill these messages to stop seeing them? Having had...
6
6

OT: power cut
Odd to have a power cut today, not as if there's a storm or something. First of all they tried a remote reset three times, then left it for 10 minutes and tried twice more - the second of which fixed...
14
14

On bath surround
Hi All, We are redoing our bathroom and looking for interesting ways to create a ba th surround. I have seen this Which looks like a stone surround sitting on top of the bath edge with ston e sides to...
6
6

Decent cordless Vacuum Cleaner
Our son has a dyson cordless vacuum cleaner. its got an impressive amount of suction, but checking various feedback it seems to have reliability issues especially after the guarantee expires. and...
44
44

Shower replacement
I intend to replace my existing 8.5kW shower for a 9.5kW one. The present one is wired in 6mm through a 40A mcb in the CU with a run of about 7 metres with a double-pole isolator in the airing...
32
32

Heavy water tank
I've got a 1000 litre water tank for the garden. It's a plastic tank bit more than a metre in each dimension with a metal frame all around. It's sitting on a brick at each corner. It's started to tilt...
28
28

Idle thoughts about close coupled toilets
Away on holiday I noticed a very fancy close coupled toilet where the seat had shifted out of line but I couldn't see any way to get access to the fixings. Porcelain everywhere. Back home I looked at...
2
2

Gridwatch Down?
Can't connect at the moment; has it been shut down to conserve power?
72
72

Screwfix
Sort of on topic! Checking stock in local stores requires typing in my location for every item selected. (use current location puts me in London which is probably the IP location) A quick Google...
15
15

Screwfix online ordering problems?
Anyone had problems purchasing through Screwfix online recently? Tried to place an order several times this week, but each time, payment is rejected. Tried with my bank card and via Paypal, to no...
10
10

NatWest DD's between accounts delays
I have had a DD from a NatWest account, from one NW account to another NW account (both mine), set up for nearly a year and the payment always quickly appeared into the receiving account, that is...
10
10

Converting 3-phase to single phase with resilience
I suspect this isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask just in case... I've got a large office with a 3-phase electrical supply. But I don't have any 3-phase equipment; I split the 3 phases to 3 x...
24
24