Subject Author Posted Replies

Garden wall.
Pal spend quite a bit two years ago having new walls all round his small garden. Brick to a couple of feet high, then 9x9" brick pillars supporting the usual wood panels. Total height about 5-6ft, I'd...
9
9

Mac cat 839 won't keep running
Bought this second hand with a punctured primer. I've replaced the primer and fuel pipes and it started ok but dies after a 30-45 seconds. I've stripped and cleaned the carb and that has made no...
2
2

[OT] RUles for speed of checkout at Aldi/Lidl
Think you'll find the same in the UK. Own brand comes from the same factory as a 'name' in many cases.
99
99

Opinions sought - Electric Toothbrush
I want a new one - my current Remington Sonic has expired. My previous Oral B (several) became slow and water got in. I quess 3 - 4 years life is reasonable, but with Oral B I can't see what the...
41
41

Ars Technica - Largest Li-Ion battery storage system goes online in San Diego
Admittedly the precise degree of harm is contentious, but totally ignoring the Sr-90 and Cs-137 emitted from Chernobyl seems a bit on the optimistic side.
57
57

One for the plumbers
After studying the Osma product guide and the architects bathroom layout I am uncertain how best to go about connecting the various wastes. Chalet bungalow dormer rooms tend to be T shaped with the...
6
6

ST699 keeps cutting out
Came back off holiday and heating was off .. looked at the timer and no lights .. switched off main switch to it now it keeps coming on for a few minutes then all the lights go out again and boiler...
2
2

Washing machine stopped working
Model Candy Grando GO 1482 Symptoms: Put machiine to any cycle and water fills for maybe a second then stops for a second then fills for half second then dead. Same applies to spin or rinse. If I turn...
24
24

Building control rules for lintel/RSJ over new doorway
What is 'building control reportable' for a new doorway? I.e. is there a width below which you don't need to involve building control? My daughter is turning a small adjacent bathroom into an en-suite...
3
3

OT: Contactless card fraud?
My wife spotted a small (£7.50) charge made on one of our cards by contactless payment at a place that we haven't been anywhere near. I phoned to bank to ask if they could be more precise about where...
203
203

Where does air come from in a sealed heating system?
I keep finding air in the tops of the same two radiators. This made sense in the old vented system, because air could dissolve into the water at the cold surface in the cistern, then come out of...
15
15

Ridge tile off roof
A ridge tile has fallen on to the flat roof can I put it back on with grip fill or do I need to chip away the old cement and fit it with new cement. Just thinking grip fill would be easier.
14
14

OT Dozens of nuclear accidents in the UK come to light.
What's been did and what'd been hid! The UK Ministry of Defense has been accused of downplaying the real dangers stemming from the UK nuclear deterrent after the report by a safety watchdog put the...
18
18

Self-assessment tax dates query
I seldom need to do the tax self-assessment but had some untaxed income at the end of 2016 that needs to be declared. Can someone confirm that self-assessment tax returns to HMRC for the financial...
44
44

Specs steam up with dustmask andor goggles
my Specs steam up with dustmask andor goggles, any tips on how to wear them, or varieties which steam up less? George
8
8