Case for drill bits

I bought a set of drill bits of different sizes from about 1mm to 8mm and they come in a metal box where you open the box and there are two rows of drills lined up, which live in appropriately sized holes and then fold down flat when you close the lid.

The problem is the box is really horrible quality and the mechanism doesn't work, so it's really hard to close the lid and the whole thing is incredibly irritating to use.

What I want is another box, but one of better quality, without the drills. I've searched online and failed to find one and I wonder if anyone has come across such a thing?

Reply to
Murmansk

Buy a better quality box of drills and use the present drills as replacements when you break them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A Makita set, by any chance, because that's how I feel about mine? The drills are excellent, the box crap.

Reply to
Huge

Same for Bosch and Metabo

Reply to
ARW

Try searching for a "drill index" or "drill index box". That may get you some more results.

Reply to
John Rumm

Ah ha, fanstastic - thank you!!!

"Empty drill index box" produced a few results of which

looks the most promising

The one I have came from UKDrills on Ebay - the drills seem fine but the case is CRAP!!

Reply to
Murmansk

Jumping in a bit late, but......

I've never found those 'index box' sets of drills very useful. In reality what I need is ten each of 4mm and 5mm plus one of each of the others. Sometimes I need a different mix if I'm doing something unusual.

Just having a box with only one 4mm drill (for example) guarantees that you will either break or blunt the 4mm drill the first time you use it.

Reply to
Chris Green

Errrrrr......make one.

Reply to
alo

So you then take a spare 4mm out of the Golden Virginia tobacco tin (*) full of spare common sizes and put it in the index box, which is what you actually carry to jobs.

(* A big box of which you got when you worked in WD&HO Wills factory fitting shop in Bedminster, Bristol, during uni vacations in the early

70s and are still using to this day.)
Reply to
Huge

In message , Murmansk writes

I have a set of Dormer drill bits, which came in a red tin case, and that works well enough. Problem is, over time, we all acquire all sorts and sizes of bits, and trying to keep them together, and in some sort of logical order is never easy.

Reply to
Graeme

That box looks suspiciously likw to poor one I got from Axminster. I got so frustrated with it I took it apart and re-assembled it. Works fine now. Mechanism depends on little bent metal tab ears which are poor. Fiddly to fix

Reply to
fred

Perhaps you need something like:

John Rumm

Drop it just once & you'll regret it. An old fashioned cloth tool roll, modified for the different lengths would do better.

It's not clear if the OP wants left on the shelf storage or a carry about with you set.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

A couple of posts up reminded me, the best (as in most convenient and useful) drill set I have is one in a cloth roll. There's space for three or four each of the 'important' sizes like 4mm and 5mm and it holds sizes up to 8mm while still being very compact.

Reply to
Chris Green