OT Came across this (Climate change)

This caught my eye: "The event also caused a global CO2 decline of about 25 ppm over about 300 years". There is quite a lot of evidence accumulating from ice cores that in the recent geological past, increases in CO2 levels followed climate warming, the reverse of the current hypothesis and in accord with that Wiki statement.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yep. Thats been fairly well known ever since people looked more closely at the graphs Al Gore Rythm pointed to in his infamous film 'a very convenient lie'

They showed that CO2 inrcerase follows global warming by a couple of hundred years.

200 years ago we were beginning to come out of the little ice age.
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And that process is still continuing, modulated by the 50-60 year cycle of the PDO, resulting in the rising saw-tooth of climate temperatures seen over the last 150 or so years, and nothing to do with anthropogenic CO2.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

You know that. I know that. Doesn't make for much of a media story though, and if you have aspirations to a career in science it isn't going to get you any funding.

Reply to
newshound

Where are people like Richard Feynman when you need them? Dead, sad to say. He'd prove that either it is happening or it isn't - no if's or but's. And that would be the end of that.

Trouble is all the climate "scientists" are second raters.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The issue though is why make it worse if we can stop it whatever the reason? I don't think the science can be challenged that we are adding to it, the only question is, is there another reason making things worse. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Somewhere in his many writings, Feynman makes the point that you can recognise good scientists by the way they put a *lot* of effort into looking for things wrong with their latest pet theory.

These days all the pressure is to publish by press release.

Reply to
newshound

When Arrhenius recognised that carbon dioxide was a greenhouse gas, and showed that the effect on temperature was logarithmic, he suggested that more carbon burning might beneficially stave off the next ice age.

A kilometer of ice on top of most of the current main international capitals is something of an environmental impact.

Reply to
newshound