You won't see a newspaper article like this nowadays

Teach you how to have a bath? Though the Anglo tribes rejected the suggestion.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

You savages north of the border never had the privilege of being civilized by the Roman.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

Yep, many of us Brits didn't even bother with inside toilets and bathrooms until the mid 20th century :)

Were Roman bath-houses for the common man or mainly for the elite of society?

Reply to
alan_m

And neither are the Scots or Welsh at war with the English...

Reply to
Joe

And that was part of the reasoning behind the EU. We wouldn't have these fights.

Reply to
charles

Wasn't the League of Nations and United Nations meant to fulfil that role. I'm sure that the EU will work just as well in times of real crisis :)

Reply to
alan_m

The baths were open to all walks of society, but some parts of the bath-house, such as the library that some had, may have been reserved for the elite.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

The theory was that we would all be identically enslaved...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why didn't the Romans use soap? The Celts had it.

Reply to
Max Demian

But neither the LoN nor the UN had/have any primary financial or commercial interests in preserving the peace.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

The Romans would have known of soap from the Greeks, but it was a very expensive luxury item and oil was a lot cheaper.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

"They create a wasteland and call it peace"

Pax Romana / Russki Mir

Reply to
Custos Custodum

I think you mean 'wishful thinking' rather than reasoning. I believe Jeux Sans Frontieres worked better.

Reply to
Joe

And none of those have succeeded, because, as I keep pointing out, it only takes one to make war. As we observe today.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Defo the elites only, that is, anybody who was a "Civis Romanus". And don't forget brothels. Pompei was an open-air brothel for mercenary soldiers.

Reply to
Ottavio Caruso

We rejected the idea of communal latrines (bring your own sponge on a stick). Except at Scout camps.

Reply to
Custos Custodum

Everyone, even the slaves

Rod Speed

Not so true of the Irish and Basques etc tho.

Tho even those two have come to their senses to some extent now.

Reply to
Rod Speed

More likely just of no interest to the illiterate

Reply to
Rod Speed

They did

Rod Speed