Would You Do This With A Dado Blade?

The recent thread related to building a Clamp Rack got me looking at youtube for options.
Start this video at 3:20 and watch how he cuts the slots for the clamps.
Is this how you would do it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en_eLKaMHQU

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 8:59:31 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:

NO !! I am never, never, going to run without a throat plate, zero clearance if I can get it. As for the rest of it, looks good.
On 01/04/2017 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Roughly, sure, what's the problem in your mind?
I'd've done 'em all in one pass have clamped the blanks together first and used a reference block in the fence so that the step would be registered automagically from one to the next.
It's basically just like cutting fingers for a box joint excepting a big one...
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 10:24:19 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

The lack of an insert.

On 01/04/2017 9:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

..

Didn't even notice...probably not, but for pieces that large don't see any _real_ issue.
What bothered me most in the section I watched (only just that very few seconds about the cut) was the position of fingers on a couple of the passes...
...[time out for refresher]...
OK, went back a looked again...I saw the very first point where there is an insert then never paid any attention to it when did the cutting being focused on where the blade was, etc., ...
No, I'd make an insert even though with his flanges he'd have to have a cutout for them to get the height...
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 11:10:18 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

Yep, there was that too.

I noticed that. I've never spun a dado set at that height so I was mostly wondering if it was common practice to do it without an insert. It just looks extremely scary, but as you intimated, the piece is wide enough to span the opening.
As they say, "What could possibly go wrong?" ;-)
On 1/4/2017 8:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

No, I would not do it this way at all. Cutting slots locks you into those spacing. While that may never change my method is changeable.
I used individual blocks of wood held in place by a single screw on the back side of the rail. This has bee working fine for over 8 years. And should I decide to change the format these hangers/blocks of wood can be easily moved.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/32062259246/in/dateposted-public/
Note this is only one side of my mobile clamp cart, both sides tilt back at the top to prevent clamps from slipping out on their own.
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 10:34:48 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

My question was related to the cutting operation, sans insert, not the design of the rack.

Nope, not how I'd do it. Instead of cutting slots into a wide board, I'd edge-glue blocks onto a narrow board.
On 1/4/2017 9:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I might. If properly set up it can be done safely. The wood easuly spans the opening and if clamped or secured together it would be like pushing a big block.
Now so sure of his hand placement though.
On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 2:41:11 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yeah, his hand placement was "Part 2" of my concern.
On Wed, 4 Jan 2017 11:55:46 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03

I certainly wouldn't do either. It's not safe. It would be too easy to try to cut with one edge over the opening. I'd never get my hands that near the blade and I'd never stand directly behind the blade. I say, three strikes.
On 1/4/17 8:18 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

With what he's cutting, the only way one edge would be over the opening is if at least 80% of the piece in fully on the table meaning it is very well supported. Also, in that same instance his hands would be well enough away from the blades.
--

-MIKE-

I'm not buing that one. His hand was only inches from the blade, without something going wrong. If the end of the board goes down the throat, it'll kick the board and who knows where his hands will end up. His hands were only a couple of inches from the blade to begin with. No thanks!
On 1/4/2017 10:35 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

You are mostly correct. But the blade is high, so the cutting action is mostly down, not back toward the miter gauge, so it could be pulled down. But highly unlikely given the fact that as you said, most of rest is well supported. The only time I don't use a throat plate is with a sled , either panel or crosscut.
--
Jeff

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in wrote:

I'm with krw on this. Both practices are taking unnecessary risks, considering how little effort it takes to make an insert for the dado set, and to position your hands and body properly for safety.
John
On 1/4/2017 9:59 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I would have no problem doing it that way. I don't find it a problem. I would have my throat plate on so nothing tipped in when I get close to the end. But it's not necessary either.
--
Jeff

On Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 6:57:44 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:

The missing throat plate was the reason for the question, so in reality, you *would* have a problem doing it that way. ;-)
On 1/4/2017 7:01 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Yes, the throat plate would prevent an accidental tilt of the work piece from happening in the middle of the cut should you not be 100% concentrating on what you are doing. The guy in the video was either being too lazy to make one or too cheap to buy one.

My vote is "lazy". Saws come with one.