Yet more evidence of the uselessness of wind

Perhaps harry an JJ would like to comment:
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/windpower/10264185/The-wind-farm s-that-generate-enough-power-to-make-a-few-cups-of-tea.html>
--
Tim

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:54:34 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/energy/windpower/10264185/The-wind-f arm

http://tinyurl.com/l747qmh
<begin> "Maf Smith, its deputy chief executive, said: "You need to look at the year as a whole - the latest Government figures show that in 2012, more than 11 per cent of the UK's electricity came from renewable sources, with wind providing the lion's share. <end>
How big is the "lions share"? This talk it up marketing speak so one has to assume 51%. So around 95% of *all* consumers (homes or business) have no power if we relied on wind.
"<begin> "We hit a new record in March when we generated enough electricity from wind at one point to power four out of 10 British homes. <end>
So 60% of Britsh homes had no power when wind was at *peak and record* generation.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 14:27:03 +0100, Dave Liquorice wrote:

And no doubt record low demand...
Bob Eager wrote:

I was thinking the same thing...
--
Adam

On Sun, 25 Aug 2013 15:37:49 +0100, ARW wrote:

electricity

Probably not in March, even at 0300 in the morning.
Anyway "four out of 10 British homes" is surely a given amount of power: 0.4 x number of households x average household load. That is after all how they publicise windmills "enough power for 800,000 homes" etc.
--
Cheers
Dave.
"Dave Liquorice" < snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com> wrote in message

I have read that, in Germany, microclimates are being found in the lee of turbines, affecting crop growing.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18
On 25/08/13 14:27, Dave Liquorice wrote:

pretty much a lie. if you add hydro biomass and wind together.. well lets do it and see mysql> select avg(wind+hydro+other)/avg(demand) from day where timestamp like '2012%'; +-----------------------------------+ | avg(wind+hydro+other)/avg(demand) | +-----------------------------------+ | 0.0559790144246143 | +-----------------------------------+ 1 row in set, 1 warning (0.06 sec)
Now there MIGHT be a bit morewind that isn't metered, but that still isn't enough. The assumption HAS to be guesswork based on some putative solar and some embedded wind. And Stuart Young showed that the capacity factors on which these assumptions are based are hopelessly optimistic.
So, the gubbernment is lying again.
Nothing to see here, move along, business as usual.
The only true fact is that the majority of renewable energy comes from wind.

And no industry, data centers, electric trains shops or offices had any.
The spin is really pathetic.
Domestic electricity is less than half of total consumption.
"My lights are on, but the TV and internet is down, and the car wont run because the petrol pumps have no electricity and tescos food is rotting in the freezers, and in 24 hours I wont have water and the sewage will be backing up in my loos.'
By focussing on domestic usage only, you can tell the desperation to justify a disastrous policy in any way it can be spun, is kicking in.
The Liberal Democrats are the shoddiest crew of politicians in a lifetime of shoddy politicians.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

And presumably British industry had none at all.
--
bert

Well first you might look at the source. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/journalists/robert-mendick/ I think that says it all.
And of course they don't make enrgy when there's no wind. What else don't you know?
On 26/08/13 09:19, harryagain wrote:

On the contrary harry, it doesn't say anything at all.

Are you sure about that harry? Renewable UK assured me they do.

A lot less than you apparently.

--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

So these claims we get that "new wind farm to provide enough energy to run x thousand homes" - that's all lies, is it?
--
Tim

On 26/08/13 09:26, Tim Streater wrote:

Naturally.
Almost everything you read about energy in the MSM, or by harry, is all lies. Mostly its press releases vaguely cut and pasted.
Unusually the piece in question was actually written by a journalist who had done some research..
By contrast, the latest piece of buffoonery..
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/10265065/Nuclear-may-become-obsolete-warns-US-solar-energy-chief.html
Suitable slaughtered in the comments column.
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:33:33 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

"Politicians must be careful not to lock Britons into 20th century energy prices."
Well I'd go for that. Heating Oil was 17p/l in 1999, it's now around 60p/l.
Or is he saying that energy prices are going to be lower than they were at the end of the 20th Century? My figures for electricty only go back to Jul 2000, but they have more than doubled since then:
Jul 2000 5.94 Now 11.143 Jul 2000 6.46/2.46 Now 16.08/6.02 - (E7 day/night) Nearer tripled.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Caused by the legalised banditry of wide boys like harry.
--
Tim

So the Telegraph invented these numbers, is that it?
--
Tim

On 26/08/13 09:27, Tim Streater wrote:

Have they been taking lessons from harry, again?
--
Ineptocracy

(in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) – a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 09:19:14 +0100, harryagain wrote:

Why? The figues have come from RWE directly. There is a bit of spin by picking a day with little wind but that is balanced by the CEO picking the record day.

So as we "don't need" the chimneys and cooling towers of conventional plant where does the power come from when the wind doesn't blow? Indeed where does 95% of the power come from when the wind does blow (but not too hard)?
--
Cheers
Dave.