Yet more evidence of the uselessness of wind

Perhaps harry an JJ would like to comment:

Reply to
Tim Streater

s-that-generate-enough-power-to-make-a-few-cups-of-tea.html>

"Maf Smith, its deputy chief executive, said: "You need to look at the year as a whole - the latest Government figures show that in

2012, more than 11 per cent of the UK's electricity came from renewable sources, with wind providing the lion's share.

How big is the "lions share"? This talk it up marketing speak so one has to assume 51%. So around 95% of *all* consumers (homes or business) have no power if we relied on wind.

" "We hit a new record in March when we generated enough electricity from wind at one point to power four out of 10 British homes.

So 60% of Britsh homes had no power when wind was at *peak and record* generation.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And no doubt record low demand...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I was thinking the same thing...

Reply to
ARW

electricity

Probably not in March, even at 0300 in the morning.

Anyway "four out of 10 British homes" is surely a given amount of power: 0.4 x number of households x average household load. That is after all how they publicise windmills "enough power for 800,000 homes" etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Well its all relative innit!

One problem with wind of course is that it is variable and its hard to design an interface for it that is efficient in all wind conditions.

Also, people are actually noticing the effects of the turbines on each other and the wind in certain areas. In a closed system where you shove air in one end of a tube it has nowhere to go but your turbine, but in the real world with turbulence etc it tends to follow the easiest route which tends to be through the gaps I'd suggest.

Wind is fine if you want to keep some batteries charged up but for on demand stuff its flaky and eventually will affect climate by redirecting the natural airflow near the ground in a given area. Not thought through. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

pretty much a lie. if you add hydro biomass and wind together.. well lets do it and see mysql> select avg(wind+hydro+other)/avg(demand) from day where timestamp like '2012%';

+-----------------------------------+ | avg(wind+hydro+other)/avg(demand) | +-----------------------------------+ | 0.0559790144246143 | +-----------------------------------+ 1 row in set, 1 warning (0.06 sec)

Now there MIGHT be a bit morewind that isn't metered, but that still isn't enough. The assumption HAS to be guesswork based on some putative solar and some embedded wind. And Stuart Young showed that the capacity factors on which these assumptions are based are hopelessly optimistic.

So, the gubbernment is lying again.

Nothing to see here, move along, business as usual.

The only true fact is that the majority of renewable energy comes from wind.

And no industry, data centers, electric trains shops or offices had any.

The spin is really pathetic.

Domestic electricity is less than half of total consumption.

"My lights are on, but the TV and internet is down, and the car wont run because the petrol pumps have no electricity and tescos food is rotting in the freezers, and in 24 hours I wont have water and the sewage will be backing up in my loos.'

By focussing on domestic usage only, you can tell the desperation to justify a disastrous policy in any way it can be spun, is kicking in.

The Liberal Democrats are the shoddiest crew of politicians in a lifetime of shoddy politicians.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have read that, in Germany, microclimates are being found in the lee of turbines, affecting crop growing.

Reply to
charles

In message , Dave Liquorice writes

And presumably British industry had none at all.

Reply to
bert

Well first you might look at the source.

I think that says it all.

And of course they don't make enrgy when there's no wind. What else don't you know?

Reply to
harryagain

On the contrary harry, it doesn't say anything at all.

Are you sure about that harry? Renewable UK assured me they do.

A lot less than you apparently.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So these claims we get that "new wind farm to provide enough energy to run x thousand homes" - that's all lies, is it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

So the Telegraph invented these numbers, is that it?

Reply to
Tim Streater

Naturally.

Almost everything you read about energy in the MSM, or by harry, is all lies. Mostly its press releases vaguely cut and pasted.

Unusually the piece in question was actually written by a journalist who had done some research..

By contrast, the latest piece of buffoonery..

Suitable slaughtered in the comments column.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have they been taking lessons from harry, again?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why? The figues have come from RWE directly. There is a bit of spin by picking a day with little wind but that is balanced by the CEO picking the record day.

So as we "don't need" the chimneys and cooling towers of conventional plant where does the power come from when the wind doesn't blow? Indeed where does 95% of the power come from when the wind does blow (but not too hard)?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Politicians must be careful not to lock Britons into 20th century energy prices."

Well I'd go for that. Heating Oil was 17p/l in 1999, it's now around

60p/l.

Or is he saying that energy prices are going to be lower than they were at the end of the 20th Century? My figures for electricty only go back to Jul 2000, but they have more than doubled since then:

Jul 2000 5.94 Now 11.143 Jul 2000 6.46/2.46 Now 16.08/6.02 - (E7 day/night) Nearer tripled.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Caused by the legalised banditry of wide boys like harry.

Reply to
Tim Streater