Out of tune wind chimes

Why the hell do people put up wind chimes which are out of key? My neighbour has one which sounds almost exactly like the Windows XP "chord" sound, which is incorrectly named as it's actually a dischord.

At first I thought it was a kid randomly hitting a piano with his fist.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Obvious answer - just to annoy you.

Reply to
alan_m

Possibly Bob Dylan fans.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

A very ineffective weapon, as it will annoy many people equally.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I didn't know that wind chimes were *ever* made so they were in tune: all the ones I've heard sound discordant and annoying.

Reply to
NY

Had a set in my old house that were a deep tone. more like a rich sound of a church bell. Wish I had a spot for them here.

Reply to
Ed P

Cheap wind chimes aren't tuned. Good ones are tuned. Popular chords are a pentatonic or the C9 chord.

Cindy Hamilton

For the ultimate way to annoy neighbors:

Or if you're really ambitious

rbowman

I bought this last year for my wife. She loves it. Description...

The 27” Corinthian Bells chime is tuned to a pentatonic scale of C. Six tubes provide a full, rich chord from root to octave. Each pipe is hand tuned and individually tested for clarity and pitch before assembly.

Reply to
Thomas

They can't possibly be any particular chord, because the wind randomly activates one or more of them. Are there really a set of notes which all sound ok together in any combination? Or are they all the same note and it's just louder if you strike three? If so, how do you get a chord with only one?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Luckily cheap wind chimes fall apart when it gets really windy, like wind turbines. If not, I'll locate them and shoot them. That will make one final louder dischord.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

They both sound like in a movie when some evil shit is about to hit the fan.

I wish the guy in the last video had the common sense to simply shield the mic from the wind with the palm of his hand.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Are they supposed to be tuned? Most I see are pretty random. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its when the high winds start that its most annoying, it sounds like steptoes yard being demolished. However some liken them to Chinese water torture. In the end most people who pt them up take them down again within a few months.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Depends on the chimes. The cheap ones have a high pitched tinkle that will annoy you.

The expensive ones have a nice deep tone that is soothing to hear. People will buy the $15 ones and get tired of them but the $200+ will be enjoyed for years.

Reply to
Ed P

A chord is usually defined by three notes played simultaneously, although an arpeggio sometimes can be considered a chord. The chimes have some sustain so theoretically the root, third, and fifth could be ringing simultaneously.

Assuming a pentatonic scale, E, G, A, B, and D would work. As far as any combination, the standard tuning for a guitar is E, A, D, G, B, E. Randomly plucking the open strings would sort of mimic wind chimes. Good luck coming up with the next big hit even with a consistent timing.

I wonder if they would sound any better if they were tuned to an actual chord? For example E major is E, G#, B. On a guitar that would the open

6th string for an E, fifth string fretted at the second fret for a B, fourth string fretted at the second fret for another E, third string fretted at the first fret for the G#, second string open for another B, and first string open for another E.
Reply to
rbowman

If you could design the chime so all the tubes were struck every time, then yes. But if you play only half the notes in a chord, would it not sound shit?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

The three times my other neighbour tried, the high winds caused it to end up in pieces at the other side of the garden. I only wish I'd seen it happen.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Reply to
Commander Kinsey