Yes folks, its cheaper to heat with electricity!

Do you own any land as a matter of interest?

Reply to
Andy Hall

I'd take that as a no... )-:

A recipe for turning Britain into a solid lump of concrete.

Reply to
magwitch

You have to ask? Drivel doesn't own anything. Not even a house.

The evidence for this is the countless number of times he has raised his fuckwitted theory that people like him should be free to erect their tar-paper shacks wherever they wish, free of odious planning controls.

Britain tried that in the 30s. The results were truly awful to behold.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Rubbish - he's got a Matchbox model of a Primus which he plays with when nurse isn't watching

Reply to
geoff

Not so simple. Perhaps you are confusing ice shelves with ice sheets? See:

lot of the WAIS sits on land but if it avalanches it is so huge that it will raise worldwide sea level so much (5 to 7 metres) that large part of it will then be floating. If/when it happens worldwide sea level will rise by about 5 to 7 metres over a period of two to four days. Plenty of time to evacuate, not nearly enough time to build sea walls.

The good news is that the EAIS (EAST Antarctic Ice Sheet) though much larger is not in even slight danger.

The reason for previous thinking that the WAIS was safe was an assumption that it will fail by melting - that would indeed take hundreds or a thousand of years. Failure by avalanching into the sea was not considered.

Reply to
HBlack

Indeed. We are very selective about who we let in. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That is plainly untrue, the resulting tsunami would wipe out large areas very quickly and there are no warning systems in place so large areas of Europe would suffer devastation. I am 136m above sea level so I think I would be OK though.

Reply to
dennis

hear hear!

That way the market regulates scarce and expensive commodities. You can do any amount of socio-economic engineering based on taxation, not legistlation, and tailor it excatly to the deemed public good.

Don't ban, tax, and don't tax the messenger, tax the message.

Tax the burn, not the earn, and not the vehicle.

This so called government has used green arguments to tax anyone they can get their hands on by any means whatsoever.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

total bollocks as usual.

Would drive farming out of business.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

But probably not from the tsunami. The WAIS feeds the Ross Ice Shelf which is at 180 deg longitude, thus any avalanche would not be pushing a tsunami into the Atlantic... There might be a "small ripple" up the Atlantic but nothing like the scale of that in the Pacific.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

With a house on it.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You didn't read..As you are a no tax fan, as I am, look at Land Value Tax, Henry George and Georgeism. No income tax whatsoever, just a tax on land not the buildings on it.

Only 7.5% of UK land is settled. The country is bare.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Oo look!! A plantpot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

How are you Maxie? Still being a fabulist? Are your feet still wet?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It wouldn't Anyway agriculture can be got rid of as it contributes little to the economy. It is cheaper to import food an use the land for something useful....like people.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

What babble!

You made that up.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

You get on well with Boris then. Boris is forcing 10,000 kebab shops on London whether they want it or not.

07 May 2008 Scousers Ate My Shorts, says Boris Johnson Angus McFiddle

New London mayor Boris Johnson spent Bank Holiday Monday ringing people in Liverpool to tell them to "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough".

The mop-topped buffoon has spent a long time suffering abusive phone calls and hate mail from Scousers who were incensed at Boris calling them all thieves. Now, as mayor, he plans to get the whole of London's 7 million population to gang up on Liverpool.

"I will have the last, er, well let me say, erm, the last laugh," bumbled Boris. "Liverpool may have got the better of me for a while but now I have the whole weight of London behind me."

Boris spent all of Bank Holiday Monday going through the Liverpool phone directory, calling people on their home phones to intimidate them. "So far I have got to the Bs," he said, "and I have them quaking in their boots."

Famous Liverpudlian Sir Paul McCartney, speaking from his millionaire estate in posh Sussex, said, "Liverpool is a great city that doesn't deserve to be picked on by Boris."

Sir Paul left Liverpool reluctantly in 1965 for the more favourable tax benefits of Peasmarsh. "I would still be living on the Mersey if it weren't for the local ferry tax there," he didn't say yesterday.

Boris Johnson, meanwhile, was criticised by outgoing mayor Ken Livingstone for using London as a battering ram to pick on smaller cities. Ken said, "the London mayor should be worried about tubes, buses, roads and fireworks at New Year."

Boris was indignant, saying, "The lady is not for turning. After we've finished with Liverpool we'll go and do Portsmouth. The bastards."

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

In 1953 went away from home-base installing telephone equipment, in Gloucester. Had to take my ration book and give it to my landlady for her to buy certain foods! And that was 13 years after WWII ended!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I'm not sure if the greens have thought through where tidal energy comes from? It's energy stored in the rotating motion of the earth and the earth-moon 2-body system. If you steal it, you slow down the rotation of the earth. You also slow the moon going around the earth, which either causes the moon to move further away from the earth in order to stay in equilibrium or the moon to smash into the earth (I'm still trying to think through which it is on that one).

Still, until that happens, those longer days will be useful for all those DIY tasks you never got round to, such as the moon protection shelter for the family in the back garden...

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

You have misunderstood my meaning. The government needs money to run the country and must levy tax.

My idea would tax money when it is spent. That way you can adjust the take such that luxuries are expensive and essentials cheap.

Purchase tax was abolished in this country. (difficult to collect?) International agreement and computers might make a system workable.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb