Yes folks, its cheaper to heat with electricity!

Disposable cheap easter european miners I take it. If a pit has been closed, pumps switched off and so on it's not a simple job to "reopen" it. Indeed it's probably cheaper and much safer to sink new shafts and open a new pit avoiding the old workings than to try and reopen the old ones. If the pit has been kept on "care an maintenace" then it is fairly easy to reopen.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a toss-up. My miner friend and I worked together in a cotton mill in the 1970s. We agreed that was actually worse than the mines. Mines have some decency about Health and Safety, the cotton mill had none. Also the mines are actually less hazardous than an environment where

20-tonne loads of cotton soaked in boiling sodium hydroxide are dropped 30ft onto the working floor at 20-40 minute intervals.
Reply to
Steve Firth

Well it would be if it wasn't full of thieving, robbing, murdering scum.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I only said I found it sad, that does not preclude finding it rather entertaining. Sort of modern version of bear-baiting...

Reply to
Chris Shore

I am not claiming anything. I am telling what the experts said.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please go there ASAP, they might do us all favour when seeing you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Please put me on your killfile.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Northern Ireland is in the UK., Duh!

The Welsh.

..and those that do will be happy as it is very near and not ion the bottom right hand corner of the UK.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I am very polite and go right to the point. Sycophants are sycophants.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Same here. I gave to the miners too.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Sounds a lot like the current capital to me. What would be gained by moving the capital to another coastal city anyway? Birmingham would be a better bet, at least that is around 300' AMSL.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

So you claim it produces 100% for a couple of hours then? What produces that 100% the rest of the day? BTW you had a better argument before you made that ridiculous statement.

Reply to
dennis

Sorry:

Eye halve a spelling chequer It came with my pea sea etc...

Vegan is "a bit of a larf" full stop. Such a diet does not supply all the nourishment that the human body requires.

You don't need fish and eggs is dairy...

Neither do I. I was taking issue with your implied statement that the human body *required* meat or it ended up like a "starving bangladeshie" it doesn't on both counts.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Please put me in your killfile.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

That clown of a buffoon should be made to apologise to London for being prat on the streets for the last two months. The clown even tripped when they made him mayor.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

*evil grin*

Jon

Reply to
Jon Green

Best advice you've ever given.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You don't want to believe everything Boris says

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Yes. How do you generate any real power unless there is a head of water on one side or the other? There will be little or no head for a large portion of the time. That is the problem with a tidal barrier there will be zero power for significant times twice a day on a shifting basis. You need capacity to replace it twice a day and that will either be something efficient with a long run up run down time or gas turbines or similar. If its a long runup run down you end up throwing the energy away so you may as well havenot built the barrier. The real thing a barrier could do is power some sort of industrial process like making iron which can be scheduled around the tides.

Reply to
dennis

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

Dribble lives in my killfile so I didn't see the original but a quick look at a map suggests that a 7 km barrier from Allhallows-on-sea to Leigh-on-sea would meet ground at least 50m above msl on both sides of the river. Haven't followed the river all the way to London so Dribble could still be right (which might be a first).

Back in the 70s we used to refer to Liverpool as the Capital of Ireland but for once Dribble is right. Build the new parliament in the docks. Then lock all the MPs in and let them drown if they can't solve the rising sea level problem.

Reply to
Roger