Yes folks, its cheaper to heat with electricity!

The message from Dan Sheppard contains these words:

The cross channel link was indeed originally intended to take two way traffic but I would be surprised if the French have taken any at all since English energy was privatised given their protectionist atitude to their own utilities.

Reply to
Roger

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

My memory is that Scagill didn't want to risk a ballot that he was certain to lose and called the miners out regardless of the niceties. Led to the breakup of his union and undoubtedly accelerated the demise of the deep mining industry.

Reply to
Roger

Spot on.

A capital city would be gained in a central location to the UK?

The country is not England it is the UK. Birmingham, is central to England. Liverpool has a waterfront which is always more attractive than waterless cities.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I have to say a cotton mill has not been on my list of stuff.

I copper wire factory was though. When the red fot ingots come through the third of fourth rollers, theres a ton of red hot spaghetti on the floor with men with tongs skipping arund ocre it getting it fed into the next drawing wheels.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yep. That about sums up the miners strike allright.

Looks like you need your even meds, Maxie.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's my fault for crossposting to UK.D-I-Y where hes on everybody's kill file.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I class dairy fish and eggs as meat frankly. All animal protein anyway:

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well we knew that this had nothng to do with science, economics or anything meaningful and everythng to do with marketing, positioning and politically correct bollocks.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Have you been for the snip?

You talk a lot about Drivel and snip.

Reply to
Andy Hall

This depends entirely on what interpretation of the events you read and believe. There was a vast amount of spin on the 'facts'. It could be the truth will never be known - but the one certainty was Thatcher was gunning for the miners and wanted rid of them at any cost.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

This is meant to have significance?

Still is.

I don't have time to watch this kind of trash.

A real bunch of disconnected thoughts. Did Ken put this together for you?

The teuts have attempted that, but realistically it doesn't make a difference.

Reply to
Andy Hall

He's a great after dinner speaker though. I've been to several of his performances.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But how would one deal with the language barrier?

How 2m people can have a speech impediment never ceases to amaze me.

Even teaching the half million in Liverpool Received Pronunciation would be a challenge

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, there were two certainties. The other was that Scargill thought that he could bring down the government.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But the electorate did vote for him.

Now we can have a debate as to whether they were of sufficient intellect to choose, but choose they did. Would you advocate over-riding the wishes of the majority?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Which would be a reasonable proposition anyway.

One can't have unelected trouble makers running the shop - doesn't matter who they are.

Reply to
Andy Hall

What kind of scrubbers remove CO2 from the exhaust?

BTW ISTR Scargill talking about "defending the rights of my class" before getting into his chauffeur-driven Daimler. Which class is that exactly?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Biggest problem with our political system is that the govt cannot think beyond the next election (or it risks not being the govt). Hence closing pits that would be useful someday, although not immediately economic - and PFI and taxing the pension system, to get rather closer to home.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

The class that includes Napoleon, Snowball, Squealer.

Squealer is the parody of Molotov, small and fat, able to justify Napoleon's behaviour and justify his luxury.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Well if my memory is correct it is a fact that the strike was called without a ballot and it is certainly a fact that the Nottinghamshire miners formed their own union as a consequence. They even had a dig at Scargill in the name they gave their new union - The Union of Democratic Mine Workers.

Reply to
Roger