X Ray Specs?

Any comments on this?

TMH

Almost certainly malware

If smart phones came with X ray emitters they would be banned

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's not seeing of course, but a clever idea if it works.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Gadgeteer review

I hate to say it, but I find the Walabot DIY a clumsy, mediocre electronic stud finder that requires a semi-dedicated Android smartphone to work with the results not worth the effort. A $20-30 electronic stud finder requires no prep time or hassle to get the job done. I grant you the Walabot DIY can locate water pipes and electrical wiring but anyone with any experience at all would know the approximate location of either in a bust into a wall or demolition type of situation. The DIY is normally $249 but is currently on sale for $199.either way, it's a relatively expensive (niche) tool that a homeowner may use a handful of times or a professional might never need.

As with reviews of the same model of a cheap stud finder you can find some users who rave about them and others who can't seem to work out how to use them.

michael adams

michael adams

Well, it's a radar array, the techniques are sound ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

But it's a hardware device you use with a phone

Reply to
Andy Burns

Big Clive had a look at it, a year ago.

A look at (and inside) the Walabot "X-ray camera." (not actual x-rays!)

Adrian Caspersz

It requires £600 of additional electronics to be fitted/attached to the phone.

Reply to
alan_m

For anyone wanting cheap single transceiver radar, rather than expensive array radar sensors to play with

the guy also has some interesting videos on LoRaWAN

Reply to
Andy Burns

That FCC link says it operates between 3.3GHz and 10GHz, which is a pretty wide range. But still below far infrared, let alone x-rays.

Reply to
Caecilius

Restricted to 6.3-8.3GHz in europe, which still seems much wider than the 5.8GHz ISM band,

Reply to
Andy Burns

better and cheaper giving the wall a tap with your index finger .....

Reply to
J1MBO ...

I usually find anything sharp finds cables with monotonous inevitability.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Terrible web site, no headers to navigate with links with no text associated with them and no up front description of what it is. Is it perhaps mini ground penetrating radar as used by some police forces? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It is radar, they also don't seem to understand their target markets very well, they're attempting to sell lower functionality versions with fewer aerials, a narrower frequency range and higher price as bare PCBs to hackers.

Don't they realise the hacker mindset will buy the cheaper boxed DIY version, rip the PCB out and find a way to convince the board to re-enable all frequencies?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Brian,

At a quick glance it appears to be a standard joist/pipe locator linked to a smartphone app which offers a graphic visualisation of what's detected.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Oh bondage up yours , was my first thought .

whisky-dave

Its phased radar, normal joist/pipe detectors are just coils that change frequency when you pass over a dielectric material/metal.

Reply to
dennis

Ah - right. So pretty graphics on something just as useless for the task needed? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)