WTB water connections for 5mm plastic tubing

Hi Folks, A quick Google hasn't turned up any sources, so does anyone have a source of fittings to connect 5mm plastic tubing to (say) 15mm copper pipe?

Whilst working on a door canopy yesterday I took the opportunity to snake some

5mm clear plastic tubing through the void and positioned one end where a hanging basket normally resides. The plan is to timer-connect this via a washing machine solenoid valve so that the hanging basket gets watered in the summer.

So one end will dangle near the basket, but my issue is how to connect the other end securely to mains water pressure (throttled back by a valve somewhat).

Anyone got a source for fittings?

Thanks in advance

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

RS etc, you want compessed air fittings which will take you from 5mm to 1/2 bsp etc

HTH - Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I've used these in the workshop for compressed air use with pneumatic clamps etc. They are cheap and work well, although 4mm and 6mm are a lot more common than 5mm.

Mungo doesn't say what type of flexible tubing, but these fittings are meant for fairly stiff nylon or PTFE tube. If it's soft PVC tube, I am not sure that they would grip it properly.

Another point here is that if this is a hook up to mains water, it would be a good idea to add a pressure regulator and a check valve.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Obliged for the reply Jeff. I took a look at the RS website but I got bamboozled by whats on offer. I guess there isn't one fitting that will fulfil my needs - perhaps a combination of a couple of fittings?

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

Good points Andy - thanks.

The tubing I bought came from B&Q - I was focussing on other work at the canopy so I didn't give much thought to the diameter (hence the problems now). Perhaps I can heat the end of the clear plastic tubing and force it over the outlet nozzle of the standard washing machine solenoid.

Good point about the check valve too: I will incorporate this in my design.

Mungo

Reply to
Mungo

as Andy has rightly pointed out, air pipe is 4mm, 6mm .... it sounds like you have the sort of pipe used in aquarium applications, if b&q don't do the fittings then try an aquatic shop

Regards Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

OK. If it's the stuff I think you mean (generally with things like cords, chains etc) then I am pretty sure it's PVC.

I think that that might be pushing your luck a bit. Generally these have about a 10mm tubing connector.

I'd try going through an adaptor first. As Jeff says - aquatic shop should have these. You can get barbed connectors with different sizes each side and then the tubing is held on with jubilee clips.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I got a stepped adaptor to 1/2" BSP from my local engineer's supplies. The smallest end is fine for car EFI fuel hose so should be ok for 5mm plastic.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

How about a "Gardena Micro Drip Irrigation - Master Unit 1000 1355 -20" from

"Supplied with fittings to enable either ½" (13mm) Supply Tube or 3/16" (4.6mm) Branch Tube to be fitted directly to the unit. A stainless steel clip enables quick & easy connection or disconnection to the tube."

So the 4.6mm fitting should be ok if the tube is a but stretchy!

this will do the pressure reducing too :-)

Sparks...

Reply to
Sparks

Possible, but you may not want to site one of these in the house. IME, products like this, intended for use in the garden, lack the "continence" required for installation in the house.

Reply to
Andy Hall