Alternative to copper tubing for lpg

I will be installing quite a bit of copper tubing. Probably a 60' run of

3/8" hi-pressure run and several normal pressure 1/2" runs in the neighborhood of 50-75 feet and possibly a 3/4" run of 25 feet or so (large tankless water heater). Wondering if there is a lower cost do-it-yourself alternative to copper tubing. I installed underground plastic tube supplied by LPG dealer and they came out to install the fittings and terminate it to the tank and regulator. They way I get it the plastic fitting is a proprietary system that requires some special connectors, tools and training. Even if this stuff was adequate for indoors use, by the time I paid for the tube, fittings and the service man to install all the connectors I'm back at the price of copper.
Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

Black iron. But you'll need to rent a threader and cutter.

S. Barker

I used black pipe for a similar project. Cutting/threading is easy when using those sizes.

Reply to
George

good point, and especially if you think you'll ever need it again. I bought my rigid threader on ebay for about $100 with 5 dies, and 2 cutters.

I wouldn't buy a dog turd from HF.

S. Barker

But, they are on sale this week..... with internet coupon.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

My local hardware store sells the pipe and also cuts and threads it.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young

Reply to
Jeff Dieterle

Yes, you are mistaken.

S. Barker

I still don't see it used in Florida. LPG is piped with plastic underground and copper inside or galvanized outside above ground on the low pressure side of the regulator.

Reply to
gfretwell

galvanized is strictly not recommended. It's not against code, but it can 'flake' and plug orifices.

S. Barker

S. Barker wrote: ...top posting repaired...

Some local codes, at least, do prohibit galvanized...

Recently there have been some studies that indicate that usage isn't as much an issue as was one time thought (zinc reaction w/ trace contaminants) but other data I've seen indicate that w/ more imported gas and domestic supplies becoming more limited that those issues may becoming more significant again...

Overall, I'd recommend against it (galvanized, that is) simply on basis of long-time precedent irregardless of local code on the issue for either NG or LP or LNG.

--

Reply to
dpb

I don't suppose pipe rusts in your area

Reply to
gfretwell

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Of course it does, but it's less of an issue than galvanized in contact w/ certain contaminants in gas, hence the historic proscription. I've heard the flaking and orifice theory before as well, but never found it codified for that specific reason (that's only saying I'm unaware of where to find it written, not that it hasn't been).

--

Reply to
dpb

And, of course, the previous recommendation was _only_ wrt to black over galvanized, specifically, not any other possible alternatives.

--

Reply to
dpb

Here is what I used for mine..its a pale pastel green pipe-coating..I bought it in threaded lengths from a local plumbimg supply dealer. Local codes also insisted on a black tape-wrap for the underground portion.

Rudy

The gas companies in SW Fla seem to have overcome those problems. In fact the factory pipe in my pool heater is galvanized.

Reply to
gfretwell

I'm suprised no one mentioned CSST (corrugated Stainless Steel Tubing). With the high price of copper, it's worth looking into.

Reply to
Tom Lachance

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

I said it was historic and that there were some recent reports indicating it was less of a problem than some earlier data had implied. As with anything else, new information eventually supercedes older.

Some of us old fogey's stay w/ what we were taught...I doubt I'll ever get over the rule. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

It could be as simple as they improved the galvanizing process so they don't flake anymore but you do put a trap in a gas line right before the appliance anyway (that dead end on the last "T")

Reply to
gfretwell