Removing poly tubing crimp rings

Anybody know how to loosen/remove the aluminum crimp rings that clamp the tubing to the tee fittings?

I have to replace a section of 1/2" polybutylene water line in my camper. This is the gray stuff used years ago (camper is 1991 model) and a piece of it is leaking. I can't seem to stop the leak, so I am ready to just replace the section of tubing. I don't see a way to remove those aluminum crimp rings.

Ideas?

TIA

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Flanders

Jerry,

The tubing almost never leaks. The usual problem is that the aluminum crimp rings fatigue over time and allow leaks where the tubing connects to the fittings. The other problem is that they often used acetyl fittings (grey plastic) instead of copper or brass barbed fittings. Cut the aluminum crimp rings with a dremel tool most of the way through, use a flat blade screwdriver in a twisting motion to finish it. Then use Qest Quick-Tite compression fittings to replace the old fittings.

Stretch

Reply to
Stretch
1) Cut it off and replace it with Quest compression tee. ( Don't use those for your house, but they ok for campers)

2) "Ring busters" are available, but they main goal is to save the fittings ( you don't need one )

3) It is easy to replace PB with new PEX and most places carry PEX to PB adapters. PEX is just as flexible as PB, and have similiar flow. So replacing PB with PEX is no brainer.

Brian

Reply to
Brian