Built in microwave installation

What is the accepted minimum distance between the bottom of a built in micro to the top of the range cooking surface below?

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

You'll need to check the manufacture's instructions but what I see on the web is 24 inches:

Reply to
Mark

Check the installation manual. Most brands are available on the web so you can check before you buy.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Charlie Bress" wrote

I just replaced mine last week. The minimum distance between the cooking surface, and bottom of the microwave was 13".

Here's a link, it's not the microwave I put in, but the distance referenced would be 13-1/2".

Conner

ZERO. NADA. ZIP. POCHOSKI.

Never ever mount a microwave over a stove. Reasons: You are boiling a big kettle of menudo on the burner. Now, you gonna stick your private parts close to that boiling pot to put the marinara sauce in the microwave and risk being a soprano the rest of your life?

You are gonna expose that microwave to a HUGE volume of air containing steam, oil, smoke and crud in general? You'll never get it out unless you totally immerse the microwave in cleaning solution about a dozen times, and then you only get out about 50%.

I have lived in many places where I have had a microwave over a stove. I have also built 5 residences now, and would NEVER ever place a microwave over a stove just on safety reasons, and the hygiene issue is equal to the safety issue.

That is just me. You can and will do whatever you want. I would dare to say that many accidents have occurred BECAUSE of this configuration. Ever drop anything when taking it out of the microwave. I have. You haven't? I would just say - yet. You wanna drop that on a skillet of hot oil? Or a lot of boiling water?

I also do not like the fact that in order to mount a microwave over a stove, it is at a dangerous height for most people. My wife is 5'1" and she keeps stools around to reach stuff, even though we mount the cabinets at a standard height. We could have mounted them lower, but that would affect the salability. I prefer a microwave at countertop height with room in front and on the side for those times when you pick something up and have it about half out of the microwave and say, "OH, SHIT" because it's burning your fingers or spilling or whatever. Being at countertop makes it safer. Even she, who's short, can safely handle things at countertop height. I can't imagine her standing on a stool reaching over a stovetop of hot pots to get something in or out of the microwave. If anything happens, it's going to be messy and painful.

As I say, you can and will do what you want, but just think about it a moment. And reflect on this if the worst ever happens.

Now I feel better.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Steve, I agree with you. My spouse wants to free up counter space. I am trying to get the mounting height show I can show her using a cardboard cutout just how high it would have to be. Our daughter has pointed out the dangers that you have.

At the moment we are at a standooff. The old micro is in dire need of replacement. She doesn't want one on the counter. I said ok we will do without one.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

We've had a MW over our range for over 20 years now. None of the problems Steve points out have occurred to us. Surprisingly, cleaning is not a big deal.

Is that our first choice? No, but we don't have enough counterspace otherwise. Works for us, may or may not for you.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Nonsense...... here's a link for you

Carly

I'm sorry, but my mind is already made up. I'm sixty years old. I've been cooking 52 years. I've built five houses and done renovations and remodels that we don't have time for here.

My experience and observations in countless situations is not nonsense. Things happen in life. I've seen a lot of them. I've done a lot of them.

My whole point was to inspire thought, which I seem to have done. Having done that, I'm happy. Maybe I can save someone a trip to the burn unit.

Ever been there? Silly stupid human tricks that not one patient would have thought would have ever happened.

Proceed with your Pollyannish life and perhaps you will be lucky and never run into a bad accident. For those of us who've seen bad things happen to good people, please do not bore me with a psychobabble approach of labeling my experience "nonsense".

No one here is required to take any of my advice, opinions, or experiences to heart. I do not rule the world, and can be wrong. I don't label other people's advice, opinion, or experience as "nonsense" because it is real and they lived it.

That's why people buy insurance and why there are funeral homes.

Shit happens no matter how careful we are.

Even you if you live long enough.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Amen! Mine works well also. Seems strange that they would come approved for that use, with connection (as a replacement) to the vent hood system, and lights to illuminate the cooktop, if they should "never" be installed in that mode. Can things go wrong? Of course. But anecdotal evidence is never proof of anything except to the folks involved in the case. Cite me a study with statistical proof, and I, for one, will be happy to reconsider.

Reply to
Roy Starrin

In one house, I had a mw over the range. I rarely use the mw when using the range, as I do mainly warm-ups in mw. I once left a stove burner on in the evening, nothing on the burner. I woke during the night and thought I heard the exhaust fan of the mw going on and off. I decided there was a burglar in the house trying to terrorize me and finally marched out to confront the burglar :o) Dumb! No burglar. Apparently the heat caused the fan to cycle on and off ..... I have no idea whether it was designed to do that or not?

Reply to
Norminn

I wonder just how many of these are not even vented to the outside. I"ve seen plenty. The suction just picks the smoke up and returns it to the room, in most cases blowing it right back at the cook for inhalation. Can you put a microwave over a stove? Certainly. Would I do it? No.

All life is choices. Remember clear plastic furniture covers? Carpet runners? Things one person HAD to have, and another would never own?

Choices.

Please read the part where I just stated the down sides, and where I said that every person can and will do what THEY want. Some people do it and wind up with an ooey gooey mess in ten years. Others don't.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Agreed. We have one in our camper. I like coffee hot, and I really dislike pulling a cup of hot coffee out of the microwave near boiling at head height. I could see one of the built-in oven/microwave units, maybe, but not over the stove.

Reply to
Chris Hill

That's normal. There is a hood thermostat that detects the heat to protect your microwave from overheating or steam contamination from the stove.

William E. Miller, AS-EET snipped-for-privacy@usa.net

William Miller