P2R phillips bit -- what is it?

Found these among my 1/4-inch driver bits. Tried to use them for #2 phillips screws and snapped off a couple.

What are these for?

Thanks, FBt

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

on 4/7/2008 10:45 AM Esther & Fester Bestertester said the following:

Phillips Pressure Treated wood screws. You probably got the bits in a box of the screws.

Reply to
willshak

A Google search found this under Craftsman tools :P2R Phillips drywall bit

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Might be "Reed Prince" bits, which are very similar to a phillips, except they come to a sharp point, rather than the slightly blunted tip of a phillips.

Reply to
salty

That is supposedly a special drywall screw bit, but I use them for everything if I have them and I can't tell a whole lot of difference except that they are narrower than a standard #2 along the body of the bit.

Reply to
Robert Allison

I too saw that in the Craftsman too set.

So what? It doesn't say what it is for.

Google is not always the answer.

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

What are they used for? I thought if it was a #2 it should be the same shape tip.

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

They are used for screws that have a reed prince slot in them. #2 only refers to size, not type.

Reply to
salty

Bye, Steve. [g]

Reply to
Glenn

What do we need a newsgroup for when we have Google? Every question that's ever been asked and every fact of life is in Google. I say we kill all newsgroups.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have a bunch of twos and they are all different shapes. There seem to be a differing variety of shapes for different tasks. I do know that different shapes perform better at one thing and another.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Now *that* isn't found by Googling "P2R".

Thanks!

Reply to
Esther & Fester Bestertester

Au contraire, let's kill Google, the leaky sieve, the human rights violator (remember the China tragedy?) and keep the newsgroups!

Reply to
aspasia

WATCH OUT FOR THAT DOORKNOB!

Reply to
SteveB

"Esther & Fester Bestertester" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sf.sbcglobal.net...

I'm not sure what they are either. Back some time ago, before I retired, we had 2 shapes of Phillips #2. one was normal and the other was real narrow. I don't remember the number designation for the narrow one but I liked it because it sat deeper in the screw and I thought it held better. That's kinda what yours sounds like.

Reply to
Glenn

You seem to have a problem but I have no idea what it is.

Reply to
Glenn

If you would have Googled better, you would have found that some Phillips tips have serrations and are made of harder metal and metal of different metallurgy to resist chipping, stripping and schlipping.

But you knew that, right?

You know everything.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Not too bright either, I take it. You were talking about not having newsgroups and I said bye to you seeing as you were the one complaining. You sounded like you were leaving. I'm not.

And yes, I do know quite a lot. As the saying goes, I've probably forgot more than a lot of you will ever know. [g]

Reply to
Glenn

The sharp pointed ones are the pozi-bits. I think they are mostly a British things much like the Phillips. I use mostly square drive now.They are less likely to cam out.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'm confused. The other day you said goodbye, and now you are answering me.

I'm soooo confuuuuuuuuused.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB