wiring built-in microwave

I am planning to renovate the kitchen. Currently there is a tall housing containing a single oven. I am planning to replace it with a housing containing a single oven and a microwave (just a plain microwave, not a combination one). The existing single oven is supplied from a cooker supply point, which also powers the hob.

To avoid running an extra cable from the cooker supply point to the oven housing to supply the microwave, is it permissible in principle to wire the existing supply cable into the terminals of the single oven, and then wire the supply lead of the microwave into those terminals too?

I will consult an electrician anyway, but am curious if the above scheme is allowed, assuming the existing supply cable is of the required size to supply both appliances.

Reply to
noos999

The microwave (or, more accurately, the lead to the microwave) will not be protected by a fuse or MCB of the proper rating if you do that. You could, however, run the existing cable to a cooker outlet point inside the housing and run a fused spur off that to feed the microwave.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

On 30 Oct 2006 15:13:39 -0800 someone who may be " snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk" wrote this:-

However, it is permissible to wire a second cable, of the same diameter, into the oven terminals (assuming they are large enough) which leads to a fused connection unit, into which the microwave oven is wired. The connection unit should be accessible in case someone needs to change the fuse and a switch would be useful.

While going through the aggravation have you considered a double oven, as well as the microwave, or a fancy microwave that can also be used as a conventional oven?

As has been said, the important thing is to protect the cable feeding the microwave. Cooker circuits generally have a 30 - 45A protective device and that means a fair amount of let through energy before it operates.

Reply to
David Hansen

Microwave flex wont be heat proof. Oven supply wont be fused at 13A. So not compliant.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If there is available either a full size single oven that also has microwave capability, or a double oven where one of the ovens has microwave capability I would be really interested as that would definitely make life easier wiring-wise. I saw some combo single ovens which have conventional and microwave capability, but they are too small for our needs compared to conventional single ovens

Thanks to everyone for the helpful advice on this thread

Julian

Reply to
noos999

Correcting my previous post, I came across a full-size single oven from Smeg that does has microwave capability. I've just been to a dealer that supplies Smeg and various other makes to ask about it. He was very honest -his exact words were "Smeg aren't very reliable, in fact we call their products expensive crap". And it was expensive, around =A31400 list price...

Reply to
noos999