Copper tubing

Quoting a job with 2-1/8 inch copper tubing. One stick of 20 feet was quoted @ $ 240.40 Need 20 pieces plus fittings and liquid lines, $5860 just in copper for 400 feet of copper!

Amazing, I quoted the whole job two years ago for $6500 installed, now that won't even cover the copper and brackets.

If you bought any copper lately let me know what you paid before I wonder out for more quotes.

20 foot refrigeration copper prices 2- 1/8 $ 241.60 (a Tee is $13) 1- 5/8 153.41 1- 3/8 119.76 7/8 61.66 5/8 39.29

Ps, Paul, just received your email, will get back with you tomorrow, I've got to get these quotes out.

Later all Rich

Reply to
Geoman

It's probably not so much that copper is getting dearer as that the dollar is cheapening. You can't throw a trillion dollars out in the desert to burn in the sun and expect them to maintain their value.

Reply to
CJT

Speculative investing...but fwiw, the bubble appears to be bursting :

Why gasoline has gone up..

Sadly, and with the mass exportation of manufacturing capacity this leaves us precious little in the way of exported goods to trade for to get those dollars back.

Reply to
Jeffrey Lebowski

In a weeks time,

12/2 Romex w/Grnd... went from $ 240 to $ 308 per 1000 14/2 Romex w/Grnd... went from $ 160 to $ 200 per 1000
Reply to
<kjpro

Why gasoline has gone up.. Because they can and NO other reason. Its not Katrina or a rusted distrubition line or shortages or anything else. Its high because they can. Greedy Bastards and we cant do a thing about it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Do you have 20&#39; lengths of copper in your area? I have only seen 12 footers. Just curious.

Reply to
kool

I would look very carefully at steel pipe. Welded, or threaded.

The only installation precaution is keeping the moisture out of the pipe until the system is charged to avoid inside rust problems (Cap all open ends when finishing for the day.)

You can transition from steel to copper at each end of the run.

Reply to
Satan

snipped

I have never heard of anything but ammonia being used with standard steel. It sure would save money, but if not welded I wouldn&#39;t consider it since condensation will eventually cause rust on the threads and also the expansion and contraction causes leaks. This has always been a problem with ammonia systems, and, all steel that condenses must be insulated/encapsulated in Ohio when used in food processing systems. Copper doesn&#39;t have to be insulated if in the refrigerated space. However, I always do unless the owner doesn&#39;t want to pay the difference.

Reply to
Geoman

I have never seen 12 footers, Only 10 and 20 foot lengths

Reply to
Geoman

You learn something new every day!!! Googled ACR copper pipe and the first link

says 20&#39;. and the second link
says 12&#39; I have never seen anything but 12 footers in Canada since

1972 when I started my apprenticeship. BTW that first link
has a lot of amazing info on sizes of a lot of obscure things. Yes, even that, looks like the blue whale wins that honour.
kool

Reply to
Noon-Air