Worktop worries...

Chipping was the main thing I was concerned about, but in the end it just didn't happen - even without using scrap wood. Both the router cutter and saw blade were brand new, so were very sharp. The worktops are also good quality, so the laminate is probably bonded more strongly to the chipboard core.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

The tools came from a local independent - I'd probably never have known about them if it hadn't been for a plasterer we had in once who told me about them. They have always been excellent - they've always had everything I've needed, and they are extremely helpful - pointing out things to avoid etc. They are very different from the likes of HSS (and a lot cheaper too!).

Because I had the tools from Friday morning until Tuesday morning, I ended up paying the weekly rate (which with these guys is the cheapest option for hires of more than 3 days). The jig was £44, the router £24, the transformer (for the router) was free and the cutter was had replaceable blades, so only cost £1.50 for a brand new one :-)

So I paid roughly £70 for the tool hire. If I'd done the job in one day, the cost would have been about a third of that.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I did it by buying a brand new Trend jig and then selling it on Ebay after I'd finished with it. Cost me slightly less overall and I knew the jig would be in perfect condition.

MBQ

Reply to
MBQ

The hire shop made a special point of checking the condition of the jig - and warned not to remove the router before it had stopped, and pointing out that it was easily damaged otherwise. He said they often came back with chunks missing, and that they had to be sent back to Trend for repair (and that I'd lose the £75 deposit if I did it!)

I guess you just have to go to find a hire shop that actually cares about the condition of what it's renting out.

Bob

Reply to
Bob