Router To Trim Worktop

I am fitting the second of two lengths of 40mm worktop and shortened it using a circular to give me a workable length . The cut was neat enough but has slight chipping . The first piece was fitted by a kitchen fitter as it involved a 45 degree joint and a sink cutout . This piece is just two straight cuts so i was thinking of hiring a

1/2" router for a day at £17 from
I'm not sure if they supply a cutter for that price. Not having handled a router before I'm not even sure how they work . For a straight cut do you use a batten to guide the router or how does it work .I seem to recall reading something about watching what way the cutter rotates in relation to the rounded edge of the worktop.

A simple explanation would be appreciated . thx Stuart .

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Is this the type of thing you're needing:

BigWallop

A simpler way of cutting worktops to length would be to use your circular saw - only turn the worktop over and cut from the underside - this will stop the surface laminate from chipping, and save the expense of hiring extra gear... Make sure the saw blade is in good nick too!

Thats how i'd do it anyway!

Reply to
Captain Qwerty

I did something similar recently. I hired the router (1/2") but had to buy the bit (another £20? from memory). Like you, never done it before so experimented on the end of the worktop (had about 12" to spare) and worked it out from there. I've now got a breakfast bar with a perfect radius on the corner and a perfect corner joint, sink and hob cut out.

Just work out how your going to cut, ie. direction and measure eveything very carefully. Also don't 'plunge' the router, use it to trim sawn edges and you should end up with a perfect job.

Based on my limited experience with laminate tops I'd do it again if I was watching cost.

Reply to
Arnold

I tried what you suggested on a spare piece and used masking tape as well and it worked just fine . thx for that tip Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

Thx for that message . I did what someone else suggested using my circ saw on the underside and it worked fine .As it is just two straight cuts that way should do .Curves are another matter tho':-)

Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart

What U want is a router and a worktop jig, now this does make a pro job of it all:)

Reply to
tony sayer

shortened

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Always cut so the router bit edge is moving toward the uncut wood.

Clamp a batten for a guide.

Support the other side of the router with some scrap worktop for the full length of the cut.

Rough cut 3mm oversize with circular, then use router to 'plane' the edge.

A BIG router with a long bit is needed.

Practice on scrap first. Big routers need a firm hand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I finished up taking someone elses advice and used my circular saw with a batten as a guide ..the worktop being upside down .It gave an excellent clean cut and I finished with the trim glued on the two ends and it is as good as the other worktop a kitchen fitter did with a router . Thx to everyone for their help Stuart

Shift THELEVER to reply.

Reply to
Stuart