Workmate type tables - which one?

My current workmate bench is now 15 years old, and showing it, so I'm after a new one. Do I just get another similar Workmate, or are there some other better or cheaper ones out there? Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

I've been using Workmates (in the nicest possible way) for over 30 years and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt that the Black & Decker WM825 Dual Height Workmate is the one to go for. I've used lesser "copies" and they're utter crap. I've bought and used the newer "improved tech" versions and they're crap too (were talking opinion here not science). The beauty of the original style is that you can cut a panel with a handsaw running in a line between the jaws without the saw fouling metal. Might not mean much to you but it mean a lot to me.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I had one of the original blue Workmates for donkey's years until it eventually reached the end of its useful life after about 20 years.

It was replaced by one of the newer WM series ones, which frankly, was junk in comparison. Plastic pieces broke and threads stripped and so on. In the end, I threw it out.

For some while I then went without but then bought a Wolfcraft Master

800. This one is pretty good and solid and I particularly like the speed of the pedal operation for the jaws.
Reply to
Andy Hall

I have the original cast alloy version of this and it is still performing well. Most versatile tool I ever had.

Reply to
EricP

I have a Wickes jobby, not too many features but it is solid as a rock. And you can cut down the middle without hitting metalwork. It's easier to cut straight with a handsaw if the angle isn't too steep anyway ;-)

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Same here - mine predates B&D making them. It was pretty expensive then, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wasn't it worth it though? :))

I would like a new top for it and the four plugs that go in the holes on top. Have not seen any suitable spares for years. Will probably have to make a nice one to cheer it up sometime. :)

Reply to
EricP

Sir might look at

for a choice

Also on that page are the plugs and catches from various people

I thought the diecast ones pre-dated the blue, folded metal ones. (?)

Reply to
nog

This was tubular steel and diecast parts - perhaps not the first model, but certainly predated the folded metal rubbish.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Workmate is still the best. Old Workmates even better than new ones.

You can still buy good quality robust Workmates in folded steel, but it's the "trade" range rather than the DIY sheds. Avoid gimmicks like vertical jaw clamps or chain drives, but the dual height feet are useful. You can even buy new ones with plywood tops if you look hard enough, otherwise MDF is OK until it gets damp but chipboard is useless.

If you've got a cast aluminium one, look after it and replace the tops if needed.

Narrow-based HoLeeFuk WorkFriend copies(sic) aren't worth carrying out of a skip.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've never seen one with tubular steel. I thought the first B&D one was a mixture of ally castings and pressed steel - painted blue. My original non B&D is bare ally.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's what I have. Excellent piece of kit.

Reply to
Huge