Wood screw with 'pierced' head available?

Hi all I would like to keep the key for an (internal) door close by the door. This is so it can be opened from one side, but not (easily) from the other. I cannot make serious alterations to the door etc.

What I am thinking of is to put the key on a small chain, and then fit the other end of the chain (via a split ring) to one of the screws holding the door handle to the wooden door.

So I'm looking for a woodscrew with a 'pierced' head, or similar, that I can fit a split ring to. I'm sure I've seen this sort of thing in the past but can't find anything suitable.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks a lot Jon N

Reply to
jkn

The thingy that the plug chain on a wash hand basin is attached to?

Reply to
harryagain

Ifv this is just for your convenience, and doesn't have to be strong enough to prevent someone pulling the key (and chain) off the door (and if that's the case they'd just undo the screw, or unthread the chain from the split ring), why not use a nylon cable tie, or strong string, to attach the chain to the door handle? Though... it depends on the style of handle; with a knob that would be easy; with some handles it's easily possible, with others the string/tie would just drag off the tapering handle...

If the handle has a baseplate, you could loosen all the screws a little and thread a cable tie between baseplate and door.

Reply to
Jeremy Nicoll - news posts

Remove one screw and find a slightly longer one of the same diameter, ideally with a round head. Two washers, one each side of the last chain link. Pass screw through washers and chain into existing hole.

Simples.

Reply to
newshound