Wood burning stoves - what is the state of the art?

The Natural Philosopher wrote: >

There is something seriously flawed with your stove or more likely the way you use it. Mine has a plastic shopping bag full of ash which will have become almost rigid and that is about once a month with a fire on day and night. Perhaps you are burning fresh timber or more likely you have a grate. Its best to burn the fire on the floor of the stove with no grate. That way you always have a hot bed of ash under it.

you use the traditional fireplace for your living room so perhaps you should not talk so knowledgably about wood burning stoves when you clearly have limited experience of them. That scenario would be much improved if you installed a wood burning stove in your living room. You could get 10 kw and lose very little up the chimney if you did what I said earlier. You would probably burn much less timber in the stove and get far better heat output and therefore put less of those pollutants you refer to into the atmosphere. You dont know what you are missing.

Reply to
noelogara

Guy King wrote: > Wood smoke contains an amazing array of chemicals, many of them

Perhaps I'm very green but what could be more natural than a wood fire? Just because you see a plume of smoke coming off it is not evidence of pollution. The oil burners where you cant see a plume of smoke may contain much more toxic chemicals that are invisible. I am not a scientist but you cant go too far wrong if you stick to the natural way.

I would guess that the smoke from coal is much more toxic than a wood fire.

Reply to
noelogara

Yes, that sounds likely. Similarly, but not a problem in the UK, we have locust bean trees on our farmland. The logs from that won't burn at all, even if baked in the sun until they are bone dry. All they do is smoulder and stink.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Our good woodburner kicks out about 8KW according to the specs. It's Stovax unit, and although it's relatively new to us (and therefore we haven't use it that much - it's still summertime in Devon ;-) when we have run it up, we've been more than impressed with it.

Gordon Henderson

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

No, it's not evidence. That comes from people who know how to do it analysing the flue gases. Burning wood produces all sorts of really nasty chemicals.

Woodsmoke emissions contain things like carbon monoxide, various irritant gases such as nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, hydrochloric acid, and formaldehyde and chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens, such as polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), and dioxin.

Then there's all the tar and stuff. And the particulates - more from stoves in some areas than from diesel engines.

Reply to
Guy King

Do some reading on the contents of smoke from burned organic materials.

"Natural" does not necessarily mean "good for you".

Reply to
Huge

Do you mean green as in "eco" or green as in naive?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Indeed. I so burn it, but mostly its really crap.

Its one of the best for stoves. #

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You problem is that you are equating "natural" with "environmentally friendly".

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

I suggest you take your own advice and stop trying to talk so knowledgably about things you clearly know nothing about.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Here, have some of this natural herbal tonic.

I make it myself from the finest belladonna and henbane, with just a dash of hemlock.

Can't do you any harm, it's all natural and it's got herbs in.

Reply to
Guy King

Certainly when pubs and restaurants have log fires you can usually smell the fire well away from the building in the car park. Prolonged exposure to wood smoke can cause eyes to become sensitised to it.

They'd all have a problem with the Council if they tried it round here.

OTOH, I've seen a small generator set running on LPG used to power a christmas side show on an internal balcony in Marshall Field's Dept. Store in Chicago. It was almost 100% silent and discharged it's exhaust straight to the atmosphere in the room. It was undetectable

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Sorry to follow up to my own post.

Just to say I had in mind open wood fires, whereas the thread was about Wood burning stoves, although the bit I replied to described them as "wood burners".

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Do you want a nice refreshing glass of this natural Nux vomica extract?

Actually, I've just discovered that it is one of the most commonly prescribed homeopathic remedies. Good job that they don't understand dilution, isn't it?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Volcanoes, and you'd surely agree that they are both "natural" and highly polluting

Fecking ignorant hippy.

Mother Nature is a vicious old cow and she spends her time trying to kill us. "Natural" does in no possible way imply "healthy", no more than henbane and hogweed.

Reply to
dingbat

What is more natural than an atom bomb? made from 100% natural materials. By mother nature's natural creatures.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher wrote: >

and to think that I thought you were not a philosopher. I take it all back. but we must live on planet earth in the meantime and natural has always been a pretty good guideline. the scientific gurus pretend to know all the answers and yet they are always found wanting in the end. they still cant cure the common cold so my wood burning stove will remain my pride and joy to keep me warm in winter. Its efficient, cheap to run, clean it out once a month, it looks fine, and what more can a person ask for?

Reply to
noelogara

Drooling nonsense. "Natural" has been trying to kill us since we first walked upright. Hell, before that, even.

Reply to
Huge

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Waste of almost a whole party baloon full of helium, though.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

Cor - what a wonderful rule.

The government can't control fish so I'll not pay my taxes. That's my new rule and I'm sticking to it.

Reply to
Guy King