monoblock drive

Hi I have just had a quote of £1800 to do about 20 sqm of drive plus area of grass in front of porch with monoblock. This includes £400 to replace 2 drain covers with strengthened covers. Does this seem a reasonable quote?

picture of drive here

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Crumbs, I hope not. I have about 4 times that area to do next year.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Checking out our old friend

that it might be a bit on the high side but not that far of the mark... but depends on what sort of blocks it includes, and what work they are going to do.

Do you know of the firm, ie have any recommendation or references? IMHO it's a classic for cowbows; very easy to do a quick and dirty job that will look fab for the first few weeks, before it starts subsiding and cracking all over the place because the foundations weren't done right. Check out the typical specs on pavingexpert site and compare that with your quote, then you can ask the contractor all the appropriate questions.

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's exactly double what I would charge for block paving, so I would have to say no, it's not a reasonable quote, I'm doing a 40m2 drive next wek for less than that, which entails: Excavation and removal of existing flags and soil.

140mm of hardcore, compacted with (1 tonne weight) vibrating roller. 50mm of grit sand 50mm blocks finished with silica sand.

This includes all edgings and everything else, plus a garuantee (I give garuantees knowing that I'll never have to go back - there's no car (or van) heavy enough to displace the hardcore I put down)

Reply to
Phil L