Seeking skilled person(s) to work on 100 yr. old house - U can live in it - near the Beach, Lewes Delaware

Hello: We have a 100 year old Victorian in the heart of small town Lewes Delaware. We are seeking somebody who might be in a position to get away and (if they want) live and work in this bright and cheery old house 9in need of TLC) for @ 4-8 weeks. We'll pay fair wages plus material costs.

The person(s) need to be honest and skilled in the agreed upon projects (no Bozos). I'll list our priorities of work below: Who knows, perhaps you want to get away for the spring/summer and it's a very nice cordial small town, 3/4 mile from the shore, national seaside park. We can work out the particulars and a contract if you are interested. Thank you! Mark

LIST OF REPAIRS HVAC · 2 zone or 3 zone install plus duct . Dual heat (heat pump and propane)

WALLS (1st and 2nd Floor) Currently plaster · Insulate through walls · Skim coat wall or drywall over existing walls and ceiling. The molding is deep · Paint

FLOORS (100 year old hard pine) · Need to be strengthened in spots & refinished, · Or leveling with new 3/8 hardwood laid over

BANNISTER UPSTAIRS - Beautiful but painted · Strip or Replace · Stair Treads Strip

Bathrooms 1st Floor and 2nd floor · Gut Bathrooms, frame, plumb, tile · Finish nicely with tile, raise dropped ceiling to original height. o 1st floor shower all tiled o Tile showers second · Possible extend and split second floor single bathroom into two bathrooms · Possible add plumbing to 1 or 2 other places for future bath

KITCHEN · Walls-strip, frame, frame in the raised ceiling, drywall, · Floors, level sub-floor, (tile, laminate wood, ¾ oak wood) · Plumbing move sink, dishwasher, frig, outside shower · Recessed lighting · Widen back door · Skylights 2 or 4 · Cabinets Install

WINDOWS and DOORS · New windows and Doors

SIDING · Strip, insulate o Use hardi-board (or can we use vinyl cedar shake impressions) · Paint . Roofing..maybe

EXTERIOR · Clean outside, Plant shrubs, Remove concrete in front of porch. · Refurbish entire Barn in back with water/heat

Reply to
MHT123

You can email me at snipped-for-privacy@aol.com . Thanks

Reply to
MHT123

going to be a VERY busy couple of months. I think you might be pushing too much and might end up with less than desireable quality

Reply to
hallerb

If you honestly think you will complete that list in 4-8 weeks with a 4 man crew I think you are sadly mistaken.

______________________________ Keep the whole world singing . . . . DanG (remove the sevens) snipped-for-privacy@7cox.net

[...]

KITCHEN ? Walls-strip, frame, frame in the raised ceiling, drywall, ? Floors, level sub-floor, (tile, laminate wood, ? oak wood) ? Plumbing move sink, dishwasher, frig, outside shower ? Recessed lighting ? Widen back door ? Skylights 2 or 4 ? Cabinets Install

WINDOWS and DOORS ? New windows and Doors

SIDING ? Strip, insulate o Use hardi-board (or can we use vinyl cedar shake impressions) ? Paint . Roofing..maybe

EXTERIOR ? Clean outside, Plant shrubs, Remove concrete in front of porch. ? Refurbish entire Barn in back with water/heat

Reply to
DanG

He said person/s

I guess he figured one guy might take on a challenge:(

Sadly they would be so busy they could never enjoy the area...

This looks like a job for this old house and a nice 9 month schedule with 50 people crawling all over the building.

Bathroom needs done? Maybe Rich Theraway could take a break from TOH:)

ophg wait he has a barn too, better invite hometime too, and get habitat to help just for fun

do we have a troll here?

Reply to
hallerb

Well looking on the bright side, the crew will be living in the war zone free of charge and with no commuting.

BTW, a house that torn apart wouldn't be livable. A building inspector would probably have a conniption if he found evidence of habitation. It'd make more sense to have a travel trailer or RV on the property - if the zoning code would allow it.

RicodJour

it's possible if the crew in experienced and knows how to work and not drink and do drugs on the job like a bunch of LOSERS ......

DanG wrote:

Reply to
JillAdams

JillAdams wrote in news:WoCdnYZJsvVoQrnZnZ2dnUVZ_t- snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Even the world's best 4 person crew couldn't do all of that work in 4 weeks. Not even if all of the required permits and materials were sitting there (and I bet that they aren't).

The "losers" would be anyone that accepted that schedule.

Reply to
Old Fangled

obviousely you are too drunk or too stoned to have paid attention to what was said...... 4 - 8 weeks was said .......

Old Fangled wrote:

Reply to
JillAdams

JillAdams wrote in news:QsadnbeL1tAkGLjZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You seem to have an obsession with drugs; something in your past?

I'll stand by my statements. Even 8 weeks is darn close to impossible with

4 (good) people. If anything at all gets delayed or goes wrong (and it always does), the job isn't going to be finished. Only fools agree to schedules that invite failure.
Reply to
Old Fangled

Sorry, dear, it ain't gonna happen in 4-8 weeks. Good luck with that.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Ladies..Please don't get your buns in a knot. I did not say we expected it all done in 8 weeks. Nor was the time frame the focus of the post. We listed our PRIORITIES...in the event a Craftsman was capable to accomplish a portion of the work...(ie HVAC, Ie Drywall over the plaster, i.e. refinish the floors, or gut the bathroom and install a modern one.) I apoligies I encluded the time frame..It was to suggest that a person who might wih to get away for the spring or summer had a "place". BTW the house is quite liveble...and the work could be accomplished in a manner allowing habitation. (ie one bath rom at a time) Thanks for looking though.

Reply to
MHT123

I'll take the job but you have to provide a keg of beer on tap for each week. Coors will do nicely.

And I want quiet until noon every day, no noisy banging or hammering.

Reply to
Jimmy

Wow, Mark!

I guess it's a nice notion, a handyman gets a holiday and you get a few repairs done, presumeably cheaper than you could pay a contractor or individual pros..

Except that what you've listed is a complete reno.

New heat system, new insulation, new roof, new siding.

Gut two bathrooms and replace.

Gut kitchen and replace.

Repair or ripout and replace existing hardwood.

Create a pleasing outdoor environment. And so on.

There are a couple of problems -- one, your list is exhaustive and cuts across a number of highly skilled trade. You say you're looking for "someone" .. which suggests one person ...

Good luck.

I'm a contractor and I'd guess your projects add up to something like

80 = 100 thousand dollars, assuming they're straightforward, average sized, mid range materials, and there are no unseen disasters.

Which likely means 120 - 159 thouand, by the time you're done.

I'd also guess a minimum three months and maximum six ... depending on the availabiltiy of skilled labour.

S000000000000..... my suggestion would be that you forget about offering some DIYer a fair wage and free rent on a job site ... get a Delaware contractor in there and get it done right..

Are there no contractors in this quaint town, no electricians, plumbers or HVAC people, no carpenters and drywallers, painters and planters.

My fear is that if you turn this thing over to a handyman or a diyer, you will spend a hell of a lot more time and m oney than you ever dreamed possible.

Another thought would be that, unless there is some overwhelming reason to repair the home, you should consider razing it and building new.

Ken

Reply to
bambam

This would be a full time project for most likely multiple crews for more than 4-8 weeks as you have described it. This could be a 1year plus project for a small crew. This could be a multi year project for a live-in handy man. Actually I would consider such an arangement if the house could be lived in, if the budget and pay were reasonable, if the timeline were reasonable and if the budget allowed for hiring and manageing of sub-contractors. I doubt the OP has realalistic expectations.

As described - 1 year with live-in construction manager, proper budget and ability to use sub-contractors. How big is the house?

Reply to
No