Windscreen washer fluid WTF?

Anyone had stuff *grow* in the fluid, especially if it's a bit old? I was topping the car up the other day and saw a couple of lumps of what looks like fungus stuff disappear down the nozzle into the washer bottle before I could stop it.

I threw the rest out and bought some new, but now it's a worry that it'll clog up the washer nozzles or block the pipework.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Had some really old stuff I dragged out of the shed, it was very gloopy towards the bottom, but don't actually think anything was growing in it...

Reply to
Andy Burns

Take the pipes off the nozzles then flush the system out. Then run water backwards through the nozzles to clear them.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Was it the "ready-to-use" rubbish where you pay extra for more water?

I wouldn't expect anything to grow in the concentrated stuff but in an aqueous dilution then I expect there are plenty of things that can metabolise low molecular weight alcohols and esters. MUch like vinegar works and the stuff that accumulates at the bottom of such bottles.

You could have filtered it through a kitchen towel in a funnel to get rid of any solids.

Reply to
Martin Brown

It was some of both in two separate bottles, both of which had the growths in as it turned out.

True.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I should say that the diluted stuff was diluted by me, not shop bought.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Years ago I got hold of concentrated detergent, aka washing up liquid. This grew a fungus type in the can. When the can had small leaks they also formed around them. dis not seem to affect the efficacy of the concentrate!

Reply to
Broadback

Can get a growth in the reservoir which gums up the filter into the pump. Sticking a hose in and circulating the water to flush it out can be easier than removing the pump to clear it.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Yes, repeatedly, but the slime grew in the washer reservoir itself, evil black stuff in golf ball sized lumps. Washing out with a hosepipe wasn't sufficient, neither was hot water and detergent using a bottle brush. Dumping the reservoir in a bucket of bleach for a a few days finally did the trick.

Reply to
The Other Mike

I guess a pinch of copper sulphate in it could also kill it. Very little though, you don't want a crystallised screen.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, had something resembling a jellyfish grow in the washer bottle of my 1973 Mini many decades ago. Bits of it blocked up the pipework and jets.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote in news:p3h31g$u92$2 @dont-email.me:

Stick a hose into the bottle and give it a good flush.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Prolly do that, yes.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Only when I was a skinflint with the concentration.

Reply to
philipuk