Jeyes Fluid

Anyone know if this stuff is still available? I've heard its excellent for killing ants in their nests!

Adele

Reply to
MGT

Our Local Chemist has it on the Shelves

Regards Keith

Reply to
Keith Lanham

Yes, still available from the sheds etc. Has been banned from certain uses though (plant protection uses) - but is still available. Nothing really to stop you from using it for these purposes, whereas a lot of items have been withdrawn from sale because of the ban, however as Jeyes Fluid can be used for lots of other things, it remains but just with restricted uses.

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I always use some stuff from the pet shop which is supposed to be used for killing mites in pigeon coops. I think its called duramitex and is about £5 a bottle. A bottle mixed with a watering can of water and draw a line around the house with it. Seems to last all summer.

Reply to
Scott

They sell it at Savers for just under £3 a tin. Great for detering cats from crapping at the back of my shed.

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

All Tesco stores stock it.

Reply to
IMM

In article , MGT writes

Horrible stuff. The smell takes me straight back to my boarding school days.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

It is highly poisonous to cats until it dries. They can absorb it through their paws when they walk on it.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Excellent.

Reply to
Huge

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Great. Thought I hadn't seen the stupid moggy for a while

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

Got to be worth £3 of anyones money then

-- troubleinstore

mail can be sent via website. Email address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap

Reply to
troubleinstore

"Scott" wrote in news:cdgt8t$pqn$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk:

Eeeeeeek! That stuff contains Malathion - an organophosphate poison. Be careful with it. If you spray it, avoiding breathing the vapour. Also avoid getting it on your skin - wash it off quickly if you do. The same chemical is in Derbac - an over the counter treatment for human parasites such as lice and scabies.

Reply to
sneezy

So, they let you out?

Reply to
IMM

Yes (all over the place).

However my current workplace have decided that "it's too dangerous and we're not allowed to use it any more", which means that the stone flagged bike park area is a skating rink of slippery algae whenever it rains, yet they're refusing to do anything about it. Fortunately I'm not working there beyond this week and the weather looks dry....

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They are probably breaking a law. Get the union rep to look at it.

Reply to
IMM

They almost certainly would be breaking the law if they used jeyes fluid as an algicide if it wasn't tested by the makers for that purpose, and approved.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Reply to
Mr John X

Recent legislation on pesticides/herbicides (only?) have cut a swathe through garden centers.

To continue to market a chemical of this sort (or even use it), the maker has to get it tested to see if it's safe.

This is expensive.

For some things, that are well out of patent periods, and have been widely available, there is no motive to do this.

If you stump up half a million or so to get the product tested, then you have no competitive advantage as anyone can then sell it.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

One would assume that printing it on the can as a suggested use would imply a certain level of endorsement.

The great thing about using Jeyes fluid to shift algae, rather than pressure washing it, is that (especially on Bath stone) it doesn't leave that porpus surface behind that algae just _love_ to grow quickly on again.

Reply to
Andy Dingley