OT Daft Idea or what?

Some new traffic lights have been installed nearby. There is a Turn Right Filter. On approaching you see either the red / amber / green for ahead and right if clear - or the Green Right Filter for Right.
Some have been assuming that the green signifies clear for ahead or right.
It occurred to me that we need an Amber Filter. Easily achieved with LEDS. If Amber the turn if safe - otherwise wait.
What do others think?
After serious thinking DerbyBorn wrote :

I cannot see a purpose to your proposal. They can turn right if its clear to do so, when there is a green light anyway. Once that goes to red, the right turn green arrow comes on for a few seconds.
On Thu, 11 Jan 2018 20:01:12 GMT, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

or

If it's a round green light, it means what all round green lights mean, proceed if it safe to do so, be that going ahead, turning left or right.
A green up pointing arrow means proceed if safe to do so, ahead only.
A green right pointing arrow means proceed if safe to do so, right turn only.
A green left point arrow means proceed if safe to do so, left turn only.
--
Cheers
Dave.

Despite us know this, people have accidents due to making mistakes.
On 13/01/18 12:16, DerbyBorn wrote:

Largely because most people spend most of the time looking at their speedos and the road furnitire to make sure they aren't breaking the law, and no time looking at the road cinditions or other vehicles or pedestrians to make sure they arent breaking the car :-)(

Quite. I moved off on a left filter the other day and the back cab alongside me decided that meant he could go straight on. And hit a car who who had the green with them. He was probably more interested in his phone than driving. Like so many these days. Although at least hadn't straddled the two lanes making it impossible to use the filter.
It's odd the way people drive down the road with their right hand wheels as close to the middle of the road marking at all times. Except at lights where lanes are marked. Only then do they move over to the left to block both lanes.
--
*I'm not a paranoid, deranged millionaire. Dammit, I'm a billionaire.

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 12:16:53 GMT

The usual one is believing that they are competent to sling a ton of metal around near other road users, despite having at best a tenuous grasp of road law, physics ...

To be fair, I have more than once seen lights where a single round green light *does* indicate priority to turn right, usually where all or nearly all the traffic is turning right into a major road and straight on is either an obviously minor road or non-existent. I do think this is bad and misleading design (they should use arrow-shaped multiple green lights) and I, when a stranger to the area, usually annoy traffic behind by pausing to try and work out what is happening. An example where bad design in one place can cause accidents elsewhere which are very unlikely to be attributed to the original bad design.
--

Roger Hayter

DerbyBorn wrote:

That the amber filter would add confusion.
It's perfectly OK to turn right on green without the filter if there's no oncoming traffic.
If there is oncoming traffic it will be stopped before the filter is lit.

How do people know there is a filter if it isn't lit?
DerbyBorn wrote:

They don't need to, if they see there's no oncoming traffic they turn right as at any other junction with "normal" traffic lights, when the filter lights then they know they should have right of way (if they're sensible will still use caution).

Watching my local new light controlled junction with interest! I guess it will end up with a sign telling drivers that they need to Wait for filter unless road is clear.
On 12/01/2018 10:48, DerbyBorn wrote:

Use of eyes. It is still physically present - just unlit.

How do these people cope with normal (no filter) traffic lights then?
Most traffic lights do not have a right filter indicator but where there is one you can assume that red is probably being displayed to the oncoming traffic but you still have to decide if they are actually going to stop. I have had one delivery van overtake standing traffic to go straight from the right turn only lane right across my right turn filter path. It was that near miss incident that convinced me to get a dashcam.
Where I think there is scope for sorting out a convention is whether the right filter should occur at the start or end of the main green phase. Argument in favour of start on a two lane road is that then both lanes can go straight across rather than leaving the outer one deadlocked by turning traffic stuck due to opposing traffic flow. At busy times the right turn only lane is never long enough. Snag is that opposing traffic sees someone move forward and goes for it against their red light.
A580 is particularly bad since the engineers seem to have tossed a coin to decide whether right filter is before or after green at each lights.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
DerbyBorn wrote :

It will be at the bottom, maybe also on the right side and UNLIT.
There have been some criticisms of recent led lights around these parts as it seems that the angle they can be seen from is a little too narrow since the 'upgrade'. Not being a driver, I'd not know how feasible your idea is. Brian
--
----- -
On 11/01/2018 19:45, DerbyBorn wrote:

No. Amber light means stop.
Mike
On 12/01/2018 09:14, Muddymike wrote:

But flashing amber lights mean go if it's clear to do so. Much used in the USA and various parts of Europe, still used here in some pedestrian crossings.
--
Clive Page

How would that help with those coming in the opposite direction jumping a red light? Which must be happening if it is unsafe to turn right on the filter.
--
*Eschew obfuscation *

When traffic light designers want people to know that they have priority turning right as soon as the lights turn green they usually have a permanent right filter arrow come on at the same time as the round main green light. (And sometimes a left arrow as well if there is a left turn lane.) People who assume that a green light otherwise unqualified gives them priority turning right should not be driving a car on the public road. No special signal will help people who are this ignorant.
--

Roger Hayter

Roger Hayter wrote:

That's about the level of it, the O/P is trying to cater for people too thick to understand the multicoloured blinkenlights ...