Daft dishwasher idea

My Siemens dishwasher threw up a E15 Fault a few nights ago.

Thanks to YouTube I found a few videos that pointed me to the Aquastop feature where a small sump triggers a float.

I gained access to it and sure enought there was water in this sump - took Wet & Dry vacuum and dried is all out and ran it a few times - no sign of a leak so I reassembled it.

What is niggling me is that,to many people, this fault would be terminal as there is no way to empty the little sump.

Perhaps the idea was that a service call would be made and the leak detected and a repair made or the machine replaced.

I would probably replace the machine if there is a significant leak, but I really want to know if this was some sort of freak event, caused by consensation, ot a small leak over a very long period.

Reply to
JohnP

I have to admit that I drilled a hole in the bottom of the sump of my Bosch dishwasher. We have a concrete floor, with vinyl on top, so there's not much downside risk.

I found that a small leak on the seal round the door seemed to get into the sump and stop the dishwasher. It's easily solved by giving the seal a wipe with a scourer, but it's a faff to drag the machine out and turn it on its side to empty the sump.

Reply to
GB

In message <rlv0b2$a1u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, at 14:12:02 on Sun, 11 Oct

2020, GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com remarked:

In the past I've done that too. Put a plastic food container under the hole to catch the drips, and it evaporates faster than it fills up (on average).

Reply to
Roland Perry

Had a similar problem on our Miele, no obvious apparent leaks, but in the end I traced it to a leak around an o ring on the side of the water conditioning unit. It only leaked at a certain phase in the wash - I only saw it after running a complete cycle with the side off. It was enough to enable the trip after five or six washes.

Tipping the whole machine will empty it onto the floor - not always ideal though.

Probably a small leak somewhere.

Reply to
John Rumm

Had that problem when the filter blocked. Waited three days, the sump dried out and everything was working again.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Most common cause is the sump seal leaking, there is a repair kit available. Also lots of Youtuibe videos about it. I still have to get around to doing ours. It dosen't do it on quick wash so that's the workaround we've been using ;)

Door seals also leak, as noted.

Reply to
Lee

GB snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com wrote in news:rlv0b2$a1u$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I used my wet and dry Vax.

Reply to
JohnP

One would have thought for the cost of a small pip and stopper that this should be fitted to all devices where water could get into such areas.. Cheapskate again I'd suggest. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

I will look at that - although I would never use a scourer on anything soft like rubber - I prefer to let the cleaning produce do the work - rather than abrasion. I am wondering id a knife may have got trapped in the seal when the door was closed - I hope so!

Pulling mine out and tileting it is not really an option as the mains lead is a bit tight and to pull it out requires my washer to be pulled out first so that I can get to the back of the dishwaher to unplug the mains lead.

Reply to
JohnP

Not long after getting our previous washer-dryer, but fortunately within the warranty period, I set off the "flood alert" --- & watched what the repairman did. It turns out you could set it off by running the 90° programme with a bit too much detergent, & unfortunately you have to pull the machine out & take the back off to mop it out. I think it's inexcusable that there isn't at least a small hatch on the front that you could stick a rag in to wick the water out.

Reply to
Adam Funk