windows not closing fully

Some of the windows in my house will not close completely unless they get a push from the outside as it is being closed.

The are replacement casement double glazed units, put in about fifteen years ago I think, long before I bought the house.

The faulty ones leave a gap of and inch or so on the hinge side.

As far as I can see there is no adjustment in the hinges - they are fixed to the frame with pop rivets.

I have seen similar hinges on sale from Screwfix and others.

Is it likely mine are worn and replacements would fix the problem, or were they installed wrongly in the first place?

-- Chris Melluish

Reply to
Chris Melluish

What often happens with hinges is that they seize through corrosion, then bend - this moves the pivot point and the window doesn't fit any more. If you can remove the hinges, unseize them and straighten them out you may be able to reuse them - just remember to give them a drop of oil occasionally.

Reply to
Rob Morley

I had problems with some of the windows in my house, which seemed to be due to wear in the hinges rather than seizing. In my case, the gap was more like 1/4" than a whole inch. Depends on the quality of the hinge, but on mine a small amount of wear prevented the pointy bit (attached to the casement) engaging in the 'V' (attached to the frame). I replaced with screwfix hinges. Sadly, that didn't improve things, but on closer inspection I discovered that the screwfix ones were handed, unlike the ones I had removed, so I swapped them around and all is good.

hth, Jon.

Reply to
Nottingham Jon

I had another look and it is nearer 1/4" than 1" as I originally said.

Your problem sounds exactly the same as mine, so it looks like replacement hinges will fix it.

I presume the Screwfix ones come with fitting instructions?

Reply to
Chris Melluish