Windmill nonsense.. Tilting at Wind mills

Its called a 'thermostat'

No, because the electricity costs more..but that all about capital costs of power stations and the costs of running it in terms of labour, not teh costs of the actual fuel.

Costs are not just energy costs.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Umm... ISTR the steam cycle has a limit of 44% (Thermodynamics more years ago than I care to remember). Obviously gas turbines do not operate this way.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 23:31:37 +0100, Guy King wrote (in article ):

Using that special solid silver cable. Makes all the difference....

Reply to
Andy Hall

What is CCT and CRI?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

No. It purely dependent on how hot the steam is at the start, and how cool at the end.

steam of 500C plus at the start and 30C or less at the end nets you over

60%...

Ofcourse not all power sttaions - especailly fgas - are designed to be efficient - cheap capital cost is teh aim mainly,.

Another factor is nuclear: IF we are considering CO2 emissions, then since 25% of electricity is nuclear, the net effect of heating by electricity on C02 is mitigated by 25%..

so lets say power station efficiency is 50% for fossil power: The 'losses' are 50% of 75%, - 37.5%..giving an overall 'carbon thermal efficiency' of 62.5%.

Its hard to say what ab actual modern domestic boiler REALLY achieves in PRACTICE (as opposed to measurements after 15 minutes of firing at full power) but I suspect its very little different to 65%.

If you add in more 'reneable' energy - or nuclear - the case for the domestic electrical heating setup becomes more and more sane.

Or better still, micro CHP and good design..consider a nice gas turbine generating electricity in the home, with its exhaust going not only through a decent heat exchanger, but also round a nice complicated flue that heats incoming air for ventilation..and whose electrical output drives a heat pump as well...using say coils in the roof under glass to pull in what sun power it can..in summer reverse that to provide COOL water in the radiators etc..for aircon..

And a bank of batteries and an inverter covers periods when the system is 'off'

So much of what we do we do because its cheap and simple, and very inefficient. If energy prices rise, it all becomes economic.

That is why letting or forcing high fossil fuel price rises will in the end make us energy efficient: The market itself and the individual consumers own judgment will drive the usage down.

If annual heating bills were - say - £5000 instead of £500, and the cost of fuel in terms of the prices of manufactured items that are energy intensive were to ripple through, the pattern of energy usage and generation would in time reflect that: No need to be 'ecologically minded' - straight cost benefit analysis would dictate that it would be worth installing a £20,000 integrated energy management system, in a house, if it saved £3000 a year....in fuel bills.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Indeed. Actually superconducting is better :D

No need to worry about laying it in insulation then.

With the price of copper as high as it is, we may yet see the return of aluminium cable..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With a green felt tip marked ring 1.76mm wide, 3.653mm from the base.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is an almost complete lack of dimmable CFLs in the UK. there are

*some*, not generally available, that have four or five fixed settings, which are cycled by flicking the power on and off to the lamp, but none that can be dimmed using a standard lightswitch dimmer function. I use dimmers so that the same lighting fixture conveniently provides task lighting and mood lighting - and I'm not about to get in an electrician (Part P) and plasterer to chase in a new lighting circuit and set of switches to separate the two functions - that will be far too expensive. There are non-CFL continuously dimmable solutions, which I am told are breathtakingly expensive for domestic use. I use CFLs where I can, despite the crap light quality (having tried much more than =A350 of different lamps), but I can well understand why they do not 'fly off the shelves'.

I agree completely with other contributors to this discussion that more scientific info on the packaging would be useful. It is not possible to make an informed solution with the information on standard packaging

- and not easy to find it elsewhere.

I like the idea behind CFLs. The implementation is crap.

Sid

Reply to
unopened

The message from Andy Hall contains these words:

With green pen along the base of the tube, where it joins the mahogony base, hand-carved by Bavarian virgins.

Reply to
Guy King

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Copper plated, naturally.

Reply to
Guy King

Is that how they do it?

Serious and curious question...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Who has exposed filament bulbs?

Standing at a supermarket light bulb shelf and noting how many of each type sell in a given period isn't a good measure. For a start CFLs do last longer. Assuming 4 times longer only a quarter need to be sold compared to ordinary bulbs, as replacements.

Shelf space and variety of CFLs does appear to be increasing in the supermarkets, as has been pointed out if they wern't selling they wouldn't be there.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

David Hansen typed

And that is a location where I'd otherwise accept a cfl. Great!

I do not intend to change my lounge lamps, though it might be possible. I'd need to replace 18 * 40w bulbs.

There are usually 5 bulbs lit at any one time.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Mark typed

Colour temperature is irrelevant if the emission spectrum, unlike an incandescent lamp, has many 'holes'.

The whole point is that some frequencies are overdone and some are absent.

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

The SEDBUK efficiency (around 90% for most condensing boilers) is calculated on 50% at full load and 50% at 30% load.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Cable like this was around 25? years ago. Same era as stainless steel tube for plumbing - an absolute pain to solder AIUI.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Hand-carved by Aberdonian virgins, for true rarity value.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , The Natural Philosopher writes

I'm not looking for a fight:-)

My recollection is that the limit is caused by the latent heat locked in at vaporisation. If you can usefully extract this from your cooling tower then overall thermal efficiency goes up.

They were looking at Magneto Thermo Dynamics as a way of *topping* when I were a lad.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

No. Though it's a thought....

Reply to
Guy King

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

Look out of a train window in any suburban area and you'll see hundreds of 'em in back bedrooms.

Ghastly.

Reply to
Guy King