American Fridge Freezer

We're thinking of buying one of these:

initially there will be no water supply.

Will this cause any problem?

Can the filter be filled manually with a jug so that at least you get filtered chilled water, if only by the jugful?

Anyone had any experience of this model or make?

Reply to
Sean Inglis

IIAC "Admiral" is a rebadged Maytag. However ICBW.

Could be the water solenoid valves will be energised continuously, and may burn out. The ice door/flap solenoid on my Maytag burned out because one of the kids kept on pressing the button for ice when the ice cubes had gotten jammed up inside the chute. :-((

No. Tiny nylon water lines means it has to have water at mains pressure.

BTW a lot of North American houses use wells for their water supply, maybe that's why there is a preponderance of fridges with built in water filters over there ?

Go to any Sears department store in the USA and you will find shelves groaning under the weight of water filter systems, parts, accessories, and consumables. Stand gazing at it too long as I did and before you can say "Star Spangled Banner" you'll have a salesman around asking.

"What's the problem with your water? Is it "odor" or "sediment".

I have neither. What is your current problem with your water supply?

BTW water filter cartridges for potable water are not cheap and harbour serious infections if they are not changed in a timely manner.

Make sure you can get it into the kitchen and it's proportions are sensible.

The Maytag "Euro sized" models (Like mine :-( ) are significantly reduced in features and quality compared to regular American sized ones. For instance my Maytag doesn't dispense chilled water, it's just like tap water, and in the recent warm weather has been unable to keep up with the high ambient temp (28c). A thermometer in the fridge section goes up to 50F during the hot parts of the day.

Don't let me put you off ... :-) LOL.

Google this group for "Maytag" for more info.

If I had my life over again I think I might go for a Samsung.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^