American style fridge/freezer w water/ice

Hi-

am considering getting an American style side-by-side fridge freezer with cold water and ice dispenser.

Firstly, it will need a mains water supply (other than those 'fake' ones which have a reservoir you have to fill up manually.... what kind of rubbish is that... ;)..).

But do they also need plumbing into the drains or not?

Also, could anyone recommend any particular brands/models, or have any advice about them?

Thanks for any advice

Reply to
Jim

|Hi- | |am considering getting an American style side-by-side fridge freezer |with cold water and ice dispenser.

B**** H*** I need *hot* water, it is 16 March and it was snowing this morning.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Bought a Samsung one a year ago- very pleased. The ice and water is well used in our house (goes well with the inflammable amber fluids sometimes placed in tumblers....)- I thought this would be a bit of a gimmick but they are used all the time. Ours was £1000- there are loads of different Samsung ones at differing prices (even down to £600 or so or up to £1500) that seem remarkably similar inside, just that the outside appears different- I was wary of the ones with plastic door handles as my wife has a habit of opening fridge doors by pulling at an angle which eventually breaks the handle off. (she then complains of sore wrists but I cannot get the message across....) Very quiet in operation, and they are lighter than they look when you come to move them. They're not small so make sure you can get it into the kitchen or wherever - a normal door is ok but watch out for sharp corners, obstacles etc. No drainage plumbing needed, just a water supply (1/2" BSP fitting as used on washing machines). Francis

Reply to
Francis

I have a LG model no drain is required just a normal washing machine connector, but what I would check is that it will go through your door,with the LG models the doors come off to allow it through a normal width back door and also check the width of the freezer compartment as they are not as wide as you would think and fitting some of the apple turnover puddings in is a pain as they are longer than the freezer is wide

Reply to
Mr Fixit

My Maytag dispenses water at room temperature :-(

Thick doors and icemaker gubbins can make useable space inside the freezer quite small. I've got the smaller Maytag designed for smaller European kitchens. Full size American models might dwarf your existing kitchen units. Check you can actually get it into the kitchen

Not to the drains.

Discussed here about 1 month ago

Try searching google goups for

" Quality brand American fridge freezer?"

Actually yields 2-3 recent threads.

DG

Reply to
Derek ^

I have one of the large U.S. model Maytag fridge/freezers (have done for about 4 years).

Unlike Derek's, it does not have the problem of dispensing water at room temperature - it's always at fridge temperature because there is a heat exchanger/store in the back of the fridge.

Plumbing connections are standard washing machine type outlet and there is a food grade hose that connects onto that. There is a filter in the top of the freezer which should be changed every 6 months.

Cube and crushed ice work well also. There is a small, removable tray in the front door dispenser to capture drips etc. but no need for a drain. The tray can be taken out and washed when required. It is a good idea to educate people, teenagers and children to put ice into water glasses first and then to add the drink. If you allow them to put fizzy pop in the glass first, insert glass in dispenser and press the tit then you will get a sticky mess from it splashing inside the dispenser.

There are several other nice features.

- Well organised fridge door into which a lot of items can be placed. There is a bottle store which can be run at a cooler temperature if you like, plus racks for small items and even a childproof drawer for medicines.

- Independent temperature controls for drawers.

- Rack arrangement for the shelves with ability to move them up and down using a handle that is turned.

- Heat exhaust is at floor level

Overall I am happy with it and would buy one again.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Bought a Whirlpool last year, works well but a little noisy. No waste plumbing needed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

A nice distinction :-)

Now that *is* a good idea.

I have fond memories of the strawberry-yoghurt-style penicillin of my childhood and was quite disappointed to find that it now comes in rather wind-inducing tablets.

Owain

Reply to
Owain