How standard are ice makers?

I have a Kenmore fridge - pull-drawer freezer on bottom, no door water or ice dispenser - that came with an icemaker installed in the freezer. The icemaker needs to be replaced. Must I buy the exact model or brand that's in there now or are the mountings and hookups standard enough that I can consider other models/brands?
Add pictures here
✖
On 1/2/2019 9:07 PM, Nil wrote:

Many are standard, but not all. Try looking it up on www.repairclinic.com
Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 21:07:26 -0500, Nil

Kenmore is Whirlpool (Amana, Kitchen aid Roper etc) and that one of the two basic types, GE being the other. The basic icemaker unit is pretty universal. What is different is the plastic doodads that fit on it. You may have to split the unit to replace the output guide (5 screws) The "head" usually fixes most of them. That is the brown plastic part with the gear on it, 3 screws. That is the timer motor, the contacts and a few plastic parts that don't break. It is usually the contacts that go bad. You really can't fix them. This is the after market <(Amazon.com product link shortened)46491394&sr=1-17&keywords=ice+maker+head+whirlpool> The problem is you can buy the whole unit from an after market cheaper than a genuine whirlpool head (Amazon.com product link shortened)
A little better $3 more <(Amazon.com product link shortened)íB9S4FPBY0KZCXK3W58> This is the one I keep as a hot spare.
Add pictures here
✖
On 02 Jan 2019, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I think the head is OK. The problem with the maker is that the cubes come out with flakes of material stuck to them. The fact that it's only on the outer surface makes me confident that the stuff is the surface of the ice cube forms (teflon?) flaking off. Otherwise the unit cycles and produces cubes as expected
I didn't realize the parts were so inexpensive - I had done a quick search several months ago and it seemed to me at the time that I was looking at a couple hundred bucks at least. I need to look close at the existing unit to see what's compatible. Maybe I'll take it out now. I can survive without automatic ice for a little while.
Thanks for pointing me in a good direction.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 00:48:58 -0500, Nil

The flaking is just a bad tray. I would buy a new icemaker and save the old parts like the head and the thermostat (in the black housing that holds the head) The Supco is part for part identical with the Whirlpool as far as I know. I know the head is the same. I never tried the cheaper one. I have 4 of these things I maintain so I have a lot of experience with them.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 10:52:22 AM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

He might find individual parts on Ebay too. Kind of surprising there is anything to flake off on a fridge ice maker from the last couple of decades, at least. I would think it's all plastic. I don't see any sign of metal or anything that could flake off on mine.
Add pictures here
✖
alt.home.repair:

I'm actually looking on eBay right now and I found a used one of my model ("Adjusta Cube"). This picture shows what looks like the silver surface of the ice form flaking off!
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QVYAAOSwXMxcBqVB/s-l1600.jpg
I'm going to remove mine so I can see better what's going on, but I bet mine looks like this or worse. Based on this listing I'm thinking it's general problem with that model.
Whoever buys this one off eBay is going to be sorry.
Add pictures here
✖
On 03 Jan 2019, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

I took the icemaker out, that indeed is the problem. I found several of the same model on eBay, and some of them show the exact same problem: the lining of the tray, which I assume must be some plastic or teflon coating over metal, is flaking off. Here's a picture from one of the listings.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/QVYAAOSwXMxcBqVB/s-l1600.jpg
Mine is much worse. I see I can buy a whole new unit for about $150 or a used one for half that. I'll probably go for the used one if the seller assures me that there is no similar corrosion.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 20:13:34 -0500, Nil

Or buy this one new for $43 https://tinyurl.com/ybkw2b6f
Add pictures here
✖
On 03 Jan 2019, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

That one isn't identical to my current one, but it might fit. Yours doesn't have a cube size control (not important) or an on/off switch (probably not important either. What's more important is the position of the mounting ears - I'd rather not have to drill more holes in the freezer wall, especially since I can't really see what I'm doing in there unless I were to completely remove the freezer drawer and door. But the price is certainly right! I could afford to replace it twice as often for that price, if necessary. The current one lasted 5 - 6 years before it started contaminating the ice.
This is my current model, but this is the crummy one that I would not buy:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Refrigerator-Ice-Maker-Part-5989JA0002Q/153290084295
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 21:02:51 -0500, Nil

The basic unit on all of those whirlpools are the same. When you pull the end cover off does it look like this
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51XNo4U2QHL._AC_US160_.jpg
Add pictures here
✖
On 03 Jan 2019, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in alt.home.repair:

No, instead there's a resin-potted circuit board, behind which is a gear that looks similar to your picture, but smaller and positioned differently. Here's a picture of mine:
http://rednoise.x10host.com/temp/IceMakerInnards.jpg
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 04 Jan 2019 15:59:39 -0500, Nil

You may be screwed but the question is whether a whirlpool ice maker will plug in and work. Since they are pretty much a self contained thing, only having 150v, neutral ground and the water valve connection. if there 4 wires the worst you would have to do is splice the plug/cord, they include, on It probably just plugs in.
Add pictures here
✖