Leviton circuit breakers

I was reading an advertisement by Leviton that stated their AFCI/GFCI circuit breakers were the only ones that met the new standard for indicating end of life.
I also stumbled across an episode of This Old House where the electrician was installing a Leviton load center.
Any thoughts or opinions? I suppose that will increase the cost up^.
--
Tekkie

Sure looks like a winner if it lives up to it's promise. It is designed tomake wiring AFC and GFC circuits dead sinple, and very neet - with NO pigtails and no "common " neutral busses. Every circuit is easy to follow and connect - no chance of "floating" neutrals.
Won't likely be much more expensive than a Square D QO panel and devices, which are the "gold standard" up until now.
If I had not just installed the QO 2 years ago I'd defnitely be looking at the Leviton offering pretty closely - - -

I have never seen a Leviton panel, how do the GFCIs connect to the neutral bus?

No wires connect directly to the new breakers. The breaker just plugs in to the backplane busses of the Load Center. Branch wiring is done to lugs in the Load Center, not on the breaker
Makes replacing a breaker a simple pull-out/plug-in operation.
https://www.leviton.com/standalone/LoadCenter/index.html
On Wed, 02 Jan 2019 20:51:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Neutral, line and load are all plug-in. No screws on the breaker. No common neutral connection either. Each cable (circuit) connects to screw terminals on the panel at the breaker. Makes for the neatest power distribution panel you've ever seen - but a bit of a problem for an upgrade panel. Perfect for a new install. The way a power panel SHOULD have been designed to start with, and definitely the way a power panel should be for AFCI.

You are adding "plug on" connections in addition to a lug. If the connectors are good it is OK I suppose but every time you add a connection you add a potential failure.
On 1/2/2019 11:04 PM, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: ...

Same number/type of connections; just in different location...instead of one on the breaker it's on the panel buss bar; the conventional breaker still "plugs in"
I've yet to see one, however; wasn't aware Leviton had entered the fray with more than just their traditional devices...

On Thursday, January 3, 2019 at 8:13:20 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:

I'd have to think about it a bit, but I think Gfre is right, sounds like there is at least one more connection and certainly they are different type. With a regular panel a GFCI neutral would go to a screw terminal on the neutral bar. With this panel, that connection is push on, the breaker connects to the bar. In the grand scheme of things, I agree with you that I don't see it as being significant though. If it's properly designed and made, sounds like a good thing.

It depends on the breaker but on most there is only one "plug in" connection and the rest are terminals or lugs. (The load side circuit and the neutral on a GFCI/AFCI) Here you have 2 or 3 plug in connections plus the terminal for the load side connection. On commercial panels (QOM) the line side connection is a screw terminal too, no plug in at all.

Agreed! And Leviton seems like MegaBigBoxStore junk to me. I'll stick with Siemens.
On Thu, 03 Jan 2019 00:04:50 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

What you have to remember though is all the screw connections are made on a SOLID fixed buss connection and are only made ONCE. The screw never needs to be touched or removed in the life of the panel, and all the "plug on" connections are on a solid copper blade.
As far as quality of construction is concerned a Square D QO is likely still as good or better - but it is an antiquated design that is not "friendly" to AFCI breaker installation - and there is NO neater install for new construction than the Leviton setup.
Virtually all the other available panels on the market today are inferior in one or more ways to the QO - which is definitely reflected in the price.
On 1/2/2019 3:21 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

https://www.ieci.org/newsroom-and-insights/protection-without-exception
I do believe a small price increase will partake. Like everything else, it'll drop as sales increase.