Help with Maytag bottom freezer REFRIGERATOR

This new Maytag bottom freezer (#MBB2254G) refrigerator does NOT come with auto icemaker installed. We opted for the icemaker anyway which was installed by the dealer. Icemaker works fine.

This model has a drawer type freezer door and freezer compartment with two pullout basket shelves (upper & lower). The ice pan (obviously under the icemaker) sits in a portion of the top (pullout) shelf.

Question:

Every time we reach down to pull out the top shelf to look for a food item, the shelf brings with it the ice bin AWAY from the icemaker. It is clear that if the icemaker decides to deposit a fresh load of ice cubes while we're looking for the frozen corn, the cubes will drop straight down to the freezer bottom. In the past with our previous fridge, I understood that if I were to bring out the ice pan from the freezer that I should turn off the icemaker by lifting up the sensor arm to its locked position. Nothing new here. BUT my gosh, what a nuisance with this new Maytag. It has a nifty pullout top shelf but wherever the shelf goes so goes the ice pan.

This model is "auto icemaker ready" (though not factory installed at Maytag) so it's not like the designers (Amana?) didn't expect me to ever pull out the top shelf while the icemaker is running. Do I actually have to disengage the icemaker arm (to be safe) every time I want to look for something? Am I overlooking something here? Or is this just the way it is -lump it or dump it?

Reply to
bcool

on our new whirlpool side by side when you open freezer door the ice maker dispenser is shut off by a switch in the door and the light comes on and the icemaker dispenser will stop... but that does not cover the ice that is already half way down falling when you open the door.. i guess the engineers did not think of this part when they designed them.. we used to have a kenmore with the bottom freezer and never did attach the icemaker that was in the bottom.... so i cant help there.... just a bad design....

Reply to
jim

I assume the bottom freezer Maytag is identical to the Amana, in which case opening the door stops the i/m from "cycling", similar to Jim's SXS.

Reply to
Mad Mac

Thanks Jim. I guess you're right, bad design. We have workaround for now. A tub for ice away from the icemaker. We can then turn off icemaker until we need to replentish. Too bad though.

Reply to
bcool