Wind Turbine

Saw some over the last few days with a Generator body that was bery short - but large diameter. They seemed big machines - rather than domestic ones. Any ideas why the different design?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

It's probably one with no gearbox. Hence the generator is large diameter because it has many poles (rare earth magnets.) The benefit is that it's cheaper to make and no whining gearbox noise to annoy people.

Reply to
harry

harry

That documentary the other day about service engineers that have to go round the offshore ones doing oil changes, repairs and some kind of hydraulic system fixing scared the wotsits out of me. Rather them than me I think. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

harry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Great - That is the very type.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

maybe trying to eliminate the gerabox by using multipole motors instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ISTR that there's one at Glyndbourne opera house.

Reply to
PeterC