Pancake Generator Wind Turbine?

Saw some wind turbines that had very short but quite large diameter generator housings.
What is the difference?
On 08/10/2019 18:52, John wrote:

No gearbox
Multipole design

Possibly the number of poles that can be fitted in the generator? I suspect that this means they are “direct drive” and don’t have/need a gearbox.
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 19:28:46 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

ct

have/need a gearbox.

Also no gearbox = much quieter.
On Tue, 08 Oct 2019 17:52:33 GMT, John wrote:

There's one at Glyndebourne that's direct drive - losses are less than through a gearbox, of course. No idea what the drawbacks are, but possibly limited output. Video of the construction about half-way down the page; for the impatient ones, skip to 2 min. It shows the housing, with men inside it, before the front is fitted. https://www.glyndebourne.com/about-us/glyndebourne-and-the-environment/
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
John wrote:

This type?
<https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=enercon+e-126+ep-3 > What is the difference?
They look ugly compared to ones with a longer nacelle.
From my google image search for "wind turbine", 13/300 involved smoke and flames ...
.

Thanks - was able to Google "direct drive wind turbine" and found this: https://www.windpowerengineering.com/direct-drive-turbine-needs-no-gearbox/
On Wed, 09 Oct 2019 15:32:38 GMT, John wrote:

That's impressive - and so is the wind that it can withstand. 59m/s is about 130mph.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away