Wi-fi controlled central heating

Heatmiser make soem WiFi enabled programmable stats, I have one for CH and HW, the other for UFH.

They are accessible by web browser or Android/iPhone app.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are seriously expecting a "consumer" to be able to configure any that? They just want to plug it in and it to work. They probably aren't aware of the security implications of having a device behind the firewall of their LAN accesable from the internet.

A Pi is self build option. But we are talking about off the shelf WiFi enabled thermostats. Can you really trust that to be suitably locked down and not have "a problem" with say unexpectedly large packets, (buffer overuns etc).

Assuming you know what netblock(s) they use and that you only ever connect via your mobile operator, not the free WiFi in a restraunt, pub cafe WHY...

That's probably the better solution and side steps at lot of the problems of having to allow "out there" into the LAN, and makes it far more plug 'n play for the consumer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's not, it barely speaks IPv4, the way it seems to handle ARP requests is to broadcast a reply multiple times a second in case anyone has asked ... unless that's some ghastly requirement to allow iThings to discover them?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I had that trouble when my house was full of tenants and I was away. One would feel a bit cold when the CH was off, and turn up the thermostat to

30C, which of course didn't do anything until the heating came on again, then it would run continuously at full output, striving to maintain 30C which it would never quite reach.
Reply to
BartC