Linux Mint hacked - infected ISOs on website

Mint suffered a hack yesterday (Sat 20th) with .iso files containing a backdoor malware infection.
If you downloaded Mint 17.3 Cinnamon edition yesterday (Sat 20th), nuke the installation and reinstall.
<http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/02/21/linux_mint_hacked_malwareinfect ed_isos_linked_from_official_site/>
or http://tinyurl.com/ja87mro
I'm betting the intruder's IP address can be traced back to Redmond. :)
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!
On 21/02/2016 20:07, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Surely not? Along with Apple, Linux is virus proof. Everyone knows that.
On 21/02/2016 20:35, GB wrote:

And yes, I know it's not a virus.

<rolls eyes> ;-)
Luckily, there are so few running Linux on the desktop than none of this will really be a concern.
And 're install and start again ...' I thought it was only Windows where you were supposed to have to do that?
I'm assuming the server that got hacked was a Linux one and if so they probably 'forgot' to apply the Apache patch ... or the ...
Cheers, T i m
p.s. Funnily enough I was just emailing a local lady I helped a while back by installing Mint on her old Tosh laptop. She was saying the sound wasn't working (so I don't know if it is the hardware) and she has a Dell laptop that she has installed Linux herself (from the CD I gave her) where it won't let her type in the WiFi key (but I've had a Dell where it randomly wouldn't work the trackpad and keyboard).

Everyone I know runs Linux on the desktop. Only those who know no better run Windows.
On 22/02/16 08:13, Bob Martin wrote:

+1
--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Bwhahaha!
Or run Windows because they *need* some Windows only apps and because they do so in a virtual machine, think in some deluded way that doesn't count as 'running Windows'!
Maybe he should rename himself 'The natural hypocrite'. ;-)
So funny ... but so sad at the same time.
Cheers, T i m

We must move in different circles (or I get out more <weg>) because the only people I know who run Linux on the desktop are the two or three who do so because I installed it for them.

Well, 'of course' you will find those who have an interest in 'computers' will (probably also) run other OS's but even 75% of those who run Ubuntu also run Windows, as do many of the 'Linux fanatics' (as that is often what you become when a member of an unheard minority tying to force your ideals on those who couldn't care less for *your* ideals).
http://ubuntuportal.com/2012/03/revealed-75-percent-of-ubuntu-users-also-use-windows-os.html
Oh dear Bob ... so why is that ... why is it that 75% of people who in your eyes 'know better', also run Windows? Could it be they would like to enjoy all those programs that aren't also available on Linux ... or enjoy the hardware that isn't compatible with Linux ... who aren't fanatics and accept Linux is simply not up to it for the vast majority (on the desktop? It's fine where it's neither seen nor heard, like servers (although this Latest incident with Mint might put some reality back on that assumption) or my router or TV).
Even that 'The Natural Philosopher' (typical Linux geek arrogance there <g>) *has* to run Windows (although he thinks he isn't because he's running it in a VM <rolls eyes>) because there are several Windows programs he *needs* that simply don't have Linux equivalents.
Windows can do most things for most people, Linux obviously can't (or I'm guessing more than 5% of the desktop population would actually be running it)?
So, if you are interested in computers, like programming, enjoy the comfort of talking at people who think like you and don't actually need to mix and share with the real world, are tight or have a specific job to do then yes, you could probably 'get away' with using Linux. ;-)
So, Linux is (mostly) free, is *supposed* to be secure (as long as you don't download it on the wrong day and have patched the age old flaws), does install on most recent hardware pretty easily, distros like Mint come pretty well pre configured with lots of useful stuff, has been out there a fair while now so how come very few 'ordinary users' have never heard of it and many I have offered it to (free) don't want it or if I install it alongside Windows, never use it?
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_os.asp
And remember I'm no Windows fanboy. I also run Linux, OSX and Android so know very well exactly what each can, or can't do (or what I can get each to do, as I'm no 'computer geek') and whilst I'm still using XP as my daily desktop (here on a Mac Mini) I'm only two keystrokes away from running Linux (Ubuntu) yet rarely do. Why? Because I happen to be a 'hardware guy' and like using my PC's as tools with kit to do things (not just as a WP as with many Linux users) and much of that kit isn't supported on Linux.
So, the last printer I was given, a nice MF colour laser allows me to network print and scan from XP, 7 and 10, I can print but can't scan from Linux. Now, if I was a Linux geek I'd spend loads of time researching 'Linux compatible' hardware (although exactly how you do that when you are given stuff I don't know) but that's the tail wagging the dog as most people are concerned. How much hardware in PC World says 'Linux compatible' on the box?
However, I regularly use a Linux boot CD/DVD as a tool (and recommend others do the same) and if you just want a bit of WP and a web terminal (and as long as you don't need the latest Flash to play your favourite web game or ActiveX to access some ipcam or whatever) then Linux could be a good solution. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
p.s. And even if someone was handed a PC with Linux on it, where do they take it to get it fixed when it goes wrong? I have lived in this area all my life and know of several PC shops and none of them support Linux. Oh, and 'going along to the local LUG' is as appealing to most people as going to any other OS support club. Their PC's are just means to an end., not a hobby or even interest (and certainly not a religious or political cause!).
[big snip]
tl;dr; or whatever the acronym is.
Try to be more concise in future, T i m.
--
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without
evidence."

F'k knows (never used it).

It's a 'discussion group' Tim, not just for 'clever one-liners'. ;-)
So, did you actually have something you wanted to comment on or can I take it that you agree with it all?
Cheers, T i m

No idea if I agree or not, T i m. As I said: tl;dr.
--
Lady Astor: "If you were my husband I'd give you poison." Churchill: "If
you were my wife, I'd drink it."

(Hmm, maybe there is hope for TNP after all ... ) ;-)
Cheers, T i m

Because: very often T i m has something useful to say. Just sometimes it is buried in hundreds of lines of stuff. I'm suggesting he be more concise and then I'll be arsed to read it. Simples.
--
"If you're not able to ask questions and deal with the answers without feeling
that someone has called your intelligence or competence into question, don't

Awwwww. ;-)

Of course, it's how some people, people who may not be wordsmith's attempt to put across the whole picture using the medium of writing.

Unfortunately (for both of us it seems), we are what we are and there is as much chance of me being able (or willing tbh) to change what I do as it is for you to be the same. ;-(

It is, you just stick with the one liners and we will both be fine. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 22/02/2016 19:24, Tim Streater wrote:

Perhaps if you explained what tl and dr meant it might help.

Can you try to be less condescending?

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=tl%3Bdr
--
"I love the way that Microsoft follows standards.
In much the same manner as fish follow migrating caribou."
On 22/02/2016 19:58, Tim Streater wrote:

Yes, got it. It means that it was beyond your skills of comprehension.
escribió:

Google broken, is it?

Can you try to be less lazy?
--
(\_/)
(='.'=) Bunny says: Windows 10? Nein danke!

Like I said, some aren't here to offer help or *discussion*. Maybe it was just to complicated for him to understand? <weg>

Don't worry mate, Tim's ok, for a Mac user. ;-)
However, I bet he writes into the BBC telling them just how much he hated a particular show, rather than simply just not watching it. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 22/02/2016 08:13, Bob Martin wrote:

Everyone I know runs windows on their desktops, even those that have tried linux so they know better.
I also run windows on my desktop and linux on the servers.