Linux Mint hacked - infected ISOs on website

Perhaps if you explained what tl and dr meant it might help.

Can you try to be less condescending?

Reply to
Fredxxx

No idea if I agree or not, T i m. As I said: tl;dr.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater

En el artículo , Huge escribió:

I was going to ask the same thing then decided I didn't want to know the answer.

Maybe it's a Fifty-Shades-of-Grey Room of Pain thing.

"You've been a very bad girl! You WILL use Windows!" *thwack*

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

En el artículo , Fredxxx escribió:

Google broken, is it?

Can you try to be less lazy?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Like I said, some aren't here to offer help or *discussion*. Maybe it was just to complicated for him to understand?

Don't worry mate, Tim's ok, for a Mac user. ;-)

However, I bet he writes into the BBC telling them just how much he hated a particular show, rather than simply just not watching it. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

(Hmm, maybe there is hope for TNP after all ... ) ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That's what the work world tells me. I MUST use windows, double

*thwack*, particularity the server variants.

... but Linux interests me. So it's the only way I keep an active hand in both worlds - simultaneously use _all_ these things on the same screen. Dual booting does not work for me, KVMs are a chore.

If I had just a single windows desktop to greet me each day, it would be just lazy "setup.exe" all the way and open source would not get a look it. Which would be a shame, because I actually like pulling down some of that stuff and fiddling. So it's Ubuntu Gnome 3 and Remmina client for me.

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

Because: very often T i m has something useful to say. Just sometimes it is buried in hundreds of lines of stuff. I'm suggesting he be more concise and then I'll be arsed to read it. Simples.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Awwwww. ;-)

Of course, it's how some people, people who may not be wordsmith's attempt to put across the whole picture using the medium of writing.

Unfortunately (for both of us it seems), we are what we are and there is as much chance of me being able (or willing tbh) to change what I do as it is for you to be the same. ;-(

It is, you just stick with the one liners and we will both be fine. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I guess that can depend on how you are wanting / needing to use both environments?

On this Mac Mini for example the default OS is XP but I have the option of OSX if I choose. As it happens I haven't 'chosen' for probably 6 months now but then I could need to tomorrow.

The box this Mini stands on boots into W10 by default and for *most* of the things I want to do that's just fine. This afternoon for example I burned 3 Linux DVD's using Imgburn. I probably could have doe it nearly as easily on Ubuntu but I have had issues in the past with it wanting to cache .iso images when burning over the LAN and that all takes more time. Then there are the bogus messages you seem to get with the default Ubuntu burner (saying it's finished when it hasn't or not finished when it has) and so I stick to what I know works best.

If I actually want / need to try / do something under Linux I can do so quickly with a reboot.

I really think some here were either beaten with KVM leads as children or they have only used 'bad' KVM switches ... as 'chore' isn't a term I could ever use with any of the ones I've used over 20+ years. Ok, the original / mechanical ones meant you actually had to rotate a switch but I'd still not rate that at the same level as putting out the bins or doing the washing up? Now, without even having to leave the keyboard I can double tap the Scroll Lock key and I'm instantly looking at a Ubuntu or W10 machine (assuming it's on etc).

The key with the KVM solution over a soft KVM solution is you aren't relying on 'a / single ' machine to host the keyboard, video or mouse (which may not be on / available when required etc). Horses for courses of course.

As do many of us who are interested in 'computers' somehow. For me that's more with building, upgrading and making them do stuff with other hardware, for others it's playing games, creating books or programming.

I've used remote control applications for years, starting with PCAnywhere for DOS to the likes of Teamviewer today but I've not really used them as a virtual KVM switch so much. Not have I used (or used often) many of the other tools like telnet or the built-in RDC tools, simply because my needs are more geared towards remote support of non-technical people and across many platforms and versions.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Yes, got it. It means that it was beyond your skills of comprehension.

Reply to
Fredxxx

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

Ta. That's quite understandable. I think Huge and I thought you used it as a server at home.

So you use a VM?

Like you, I don't dual boot (once a system is up, it stays up until it needs a reboot, KVMs are pain in the arse, so i just use separate machines/displays here at home. One Win, t'other whatever I'm testing out at the moment. Currently ReactOS 0.4. There's also a NAS based on a HP uServer running CentOS.

When I was working it was Linux all the way. We chose it because it integrated well with our Tru64 UNIX cluster, then when we retired that I migrated the department over to Linux servers and desktops.

There were quite a few Macs too, but we didn't 'officially' support them. Best efforts basis.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes, MS Hyper-V. Was a VMWare ESXi bod (and VMWare Player on a laptop, and VM Server before that), but the paying bits monitoring things of that 'vcenter' got expensive, and freebie things from MS for me were just as good. Never really got on much with Virtual Box.

I do use an 8 port rack KVM on various physical things, but I find flicking screens, hammering scroll lock, and suddenly the shock appearance of different GUIs fatiguing after a while.

My dream is to get a decent large 4K TV, drive it off a sub-£100 4K compatible mini-PC, and stack the screen up with multiple remmina windows. That should be cheaper than buying a dedicated 4K graphics card for a PC (I'd hope).

One Win, t'other whatever I'm testing

There's also a NAS based on

Grab a bucket, this is my MS server home operating confession...

I'm a undeployed desktop migration engineer currently fighting for the right kind of work. For amusement, I've got three boxes running Technet Windows Server and stuff from Microsoft Deployment Tools (desktop OS images etc...).

An old noisy dusty DL385 gets used mainly for Hyper-V, build storage and local AD processing. That gets rebuilt every 120 days... it ain't permanent and sleeps a lot on 100W idle (which I need to sort other than buying poundland LED lightbulbs as a power bill offsetting ruse). A proper, probably cheaper, fix for the latter would be to move to cloudhosting.

Microservers are the rest of them, and one (phew) runs Debian without the GUI and hosts SVN and web things.

Good move.

Some of the larger companies I did work with had a mix of every OS behind the scenes. With their services and support outsourced from all over the world, the stuff I do really isn't at the grand side of their operations though I can say there are at least a thousand user machines with my generated Windows 7 images out in the UK. Perhaps I've failed

*thwack* - these could/should have been Linux - but unfortunately something critical, supported by Oracle, had to have (yuk) IE and Java. :-(

Ah, Seen but never done much with them other than email settings and network config.

:-)

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

I used VirtualBox at work on my Linux system to keep Windows where it belonged for one or two apps that needed it. If it misbehaved - *thwack*

- close the window and buh-bye, Windows. Before that I used VMware Workstation.

I find all the variants of VMware very confusing and can't be arsed trying to keep up any more, tbh.

We did look at DeadRat Enterprise with the intention of combining several physical servers into one using VMs, but for many reasons with which I won't bore you, decided not to proceed.

Think I know the feeling - this Windows machine I'm typing on now has 12 virtual desktops, each one running something. That's bad enough without the culture shock of switching to another OS.

I'll have to google Remmina, no idea what it is.

Wouldn't a whip be more appropriate? O:)

*nix sysadmin and electronic engineer, took voluntary redundancy about 18 months ago with a decent payoff. I should look for work really but am finding I'm quite enjoying life as it is. Fortunate to be well- sorted financially; I've always been good with money.

I wish you all the best in your search for work. I would have thought you'd be spoilt for choice, but it must be difficult keeping on top of developments in virtualization and migration, it's such a rapidly-moving field.

This must be some definition of "amusement" of which I was previously unaware :)

And bloody noisy when on. I herded a fleet of fully-loaded DL380 G3s, ancient kit that just kept on rocking 24/7. A rack-full in Liverpool and another rack-full abroad, plus several storage arrays.

And aircon to try and keep the server rooms cool.

Were there ever complaints about the power bill :)

Aren't they cracking little boxes. Top quality for very little $ when you take the cashback into account. I'm on the lookout for another N36L or N40L to match my existing if you happen to spot one anywhere. They seen to hold their value on fleabay - plenty of bids, often for more than I paid for mine new.

Our department was very under-resourced in terms of IT support, so we had to draw a line somewhere. That meant support for Linux and the network, Macs on best-efforts and Windows = SEP (someone else's problem).

The uni is a Windows shop - we were seen as somewhat renegade. A lot of the available software for astrophysical number crunching runs on *nix, hence our choice of OS. Fortunately, those with clue in the uni heirarchy knew we could be trusted and left us alone.

I'd say that's quite an accomplishment. Did you put any little Easter eggs in them? :)

Orrible is getting into heavy duty S&M territory - fortunately I always managed to give it a swerve, though it was a near miss once or twice.

A subject best left unmentioned. A lot of the software our devs wrote was in Java. Machines with several different versions of Java installed so that applications written at various stages could run in the specific Java VM for which they were developed, because they wouldn't work under later releases. A nightmare.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I've read somewhere that hardware KVMs are on the way out. I maybe could do with a DisplayPort type, but they are a silly price.

A windows remote desktop client that runs on Linux.

Beats me ... :)

Good stuff. Just turned 50 meself and playing the game of saving for a pension that's cashable if I make it. Hopeful :)

Thanks :)) There are movements in the business management of such, it's a language that (to me) has been completely stripped of technical IT terminology, and seems to add bags of wool to any meaningful conversation. I'm technically hands on and competent, I'm picky who does, erm, my 'project management'.

Lives in good isolation from here, and acts there as a good fan heater.

I'm on the lookout for another N36L

Years after I have seen folks buying secondhand ML110 G5's on eBay for more than I paid with a HP cashback offer before the Microservers. Of course the peak of that moment has gone now.

Under central management is the only way Windows and their users become tamed. For me Windows *outside* of a well controlled active directory domain, patch distribution and security system; is something crazy that I don't like to get too much involved with, as the rescue effort burns me and is all lost on non technical users that won't be educated why their machine is a bit dead. They pay though ... (thanks Bill)

Their wildchild, "back once again renegade master" :)

A lot of

:)

Windows 7 images out in the UK.

Thanks.

Did you put any little Easter

Plenty :)

Yup (ish)

A lot of the software our devs wrote

All around :(

Oracle took over another company that used their "old jvm running" Jinitiator in a current Oracle forms product, but Oracle don't really support Jinitiator too well in windows 7 32-bit so there was a bit of XP compatibility mode fudging about. Were that company to update to Windows

10, that's 64-bit. (gulp, duck, run ...)
Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

En el artículo , Adrian Caspersz escribió:

Thanks. I go the other way, vncserver running on the Microserver and a VNC client in one of my Windows desktops (plus a PuTTY ssh session.)

Ahh, business bullshit. One reason I got out. The uni was becoming increasingly corporate and when the bullshit bingo from "Corporate Communications" reached a level I could no longer tolerate...

Mike Tomlinson

Me too. And a head of department who was, IMHO, an idiot.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That's assuming they took the mirrored copy _before_ it was compromised...

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris