thermometer question

Hi,

Whilst having a sort out, I have found a thermometer; the type with the red liquid that expands against a scale to show the temperature. I think I bought it for wine making many years ago but it looks as though at some point it has been abused and the red liquid has overflowed beyond the scale and into the "reservoir" at the end of the scale. Or could trauma have shaken broken the liquid into separate pieces; I know this could happen with mercury thermometers?

Now the thermometer is under reading by a degree or two because some of the liquid is at the "wrong end" of the scale. Is there a clever way to get it back together or shall I just bin it?

TIA

Reply to
Fred

try shaking it like a mercury one.

But they are not expensive to replace.

if its got a short scale try hot water to join the bits up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The red liquid will probably be alcohol with a dye in it. Can you cool it sufficiently that it all shrinks back into the lower larger reservoir? Freezer will possibly do it.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Centrifical force, Get an old nurse to show you how to flick it

Reply to
F Murtz

Reply to
Java Jive

heat upright in a kettle or with a hot air gun until the red liquid reaches the reservoir at the top, but no hotter. It will all join up into one.

rusty

Reply to
therustyone

The liquid is alcohol. It has likely been dipped in boiling water and the alcohol has boiled. You can dip it in hot water until the column joins up and keeping the tube vertical & let cool. Wear eye protection & gloves.

Reply to
harry

Shake it down

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If it always reads out by the same amount, why not just re-calibrate it?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Fred was thinking very hard :

Heat is the only way to get it to rejoin, but runs the risk of bursting it if it expands too much. it is alcohol BTW. Put it in a pan of water and very gradually raise the water temperature until it just joins then straight under cold water to stop it continuing to expand.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That's a cracking idea.

Perhaps literally.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

And while she's there get her to show you how to fix the thermometer too ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave