TeamViewer

What alternatives to TeamViewer are people using?
I have been hit by their sudden "Commercial use suspected" even though I only ever connect to one 86-year old friend. He and his wife have 3 Windows machines and he has just bought 2 old iMacs, and is trying to move to Mac in spite of my protestations. Hence a flurry of connections.
Teamviewer has a form to fill in to protest private use, but here it just leads to an error page. I found their forum, but all that reveals is a huge thread full of similar complaints, so it looks as though the Teamviewer free option is on the way out. They seem to be manually deleting any references to rivals on the forum and also any email addresses.
I still help a couple of commercial companies with their IT, but always in person. I used to recommend TeamViewer, but having delved into the shambles that is their web site, I now think the time has come to find an alternative that works to access Windows and Macs.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
--
Bill

Bill wrote:

Where I can, I use reverse VNC so the person needing help connects to me, so they don't need to dick about with firewall rules, and I can hapilly se up port forwarding at my end, and it's not reliant on any 3rd party's servers,
So, I don't use it much, but have used AnyDesk as a TeamViewer substitute.
On Monday, 20 May 2019 18:39:02 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

I have Teamviewer set to start automatically on a friend's PC so I can connect without him doing anything.
It even works (worked) if he'd forgotten his password or I needed to get in as administrator.
The last "upgrade" lost the "contacts" list and seems to have made things a lot more complicated.
Owain

Thanks, Andy. I've just tried AnyDesk between two machines here and it seems pretty good. I'm also looking at the Chrome Remote Desktop add-on but have not yet got as far with that.
--
Bill

One of the big issues I have with these bits of software is that many have screwed around with the api so screenreaders cannot 'see' the other end correctly. This puts blind people at a disadvantage Brian
--
----- --

I've had that a few times over the years but I can't remember what I've done to carry on past it? I've not applied any 'hacks' or tried to trick it, other than using it from another PC for a while?
Maybe things have changed now?
<snip>
Cheers, T i m
Yes how much are they asking for a licence. If companies made it relatively cheap most of us would not mind paying really, the problem is that many companies seem to want you to buy their things every year like some kind of rental. Brian
--
----- --
On 21/05/2019 08:43, Brian Gaff wrote:

Teamviewer is not cheap for a commercial license. It starts at £32/month for a single user, single session.
Many of the remote access tools have changed to similar payment models, and lots have discontinued access to any kind of free service.
Some years back I did a trawl through many of them looking for a decent platform that would allow purchase of a perpetual licence, and preferably also allow self hosting. I found one in the end, but I note that even they only promote the rental / cloud model version of it now. (even though if you ask they will still sell perpetual licenses)

Indeed... one of the reasons they like selling cloud services and any other "As A Service" offering. Nice recurring revenues.
--
Cheers,

John.

Yes I used to use LogMeIn until they started to charge exorbitant prices and totally stopped their free service. That had one advantage over Teamviewer and RealVNC that you didn't need to install a client package: you just contacted their webserver and logged in, and everything was done from a web interface.

That makes me wonder if I should persevere with the Google Chrome add-on. I have taken note of all the other suggestions and will look at them asap.Thanks to all.
Today I spent a long time using AnyDesk with this friend. W7 at my end, iOS 11(?) at his. It seemed to work well enough, but his Mac seemed to get slower and slower. Then he wanted to install something which involved an almost 2GB download. The download started at about 5.30 and at about 6.20 only a few MB had come down. I then suggested we disconnect AnyDesk in case that was cauing the slowness. At 8.15, the emailed to say the machine had downloaded about 400MB. Then, a few minutes later he emailed to say there was a line through the url and it said Cancelled. He restarted the download, but then reported more than one download showing. He has cancelled back down to just one and he is now leaving it overnight. It still seems very slow.
Neither he nor I know what we are doing with Macs, but he seems to still want to move from PC to Mac. He has FTTP, so downloads are usually fast, and his Mac did seem to have slowed to a crawl.
I wonder if the Remote Desktop software caused the slowdown?
--
Bill

On Mon, 20 May 2019 18:31:51 +0100, Bill wrote:

NoMachine ? X2Go ?
On 21/05/2019 09:52, Jethro_uk wrote:

+1
I have used NoMachine for a few years and it seems similar to Teamviewer.
On Tue, 21 May 2019 10:02:16 +0100, Pancho wrote:

I started off using X2Go ages ago. It's good, but I never managed to get it to run a console session in Linux, which proved a deal breaker. I used Teamviewer for a while (which did allow console sessions). Can't recall what put me off them.
Currently happy with NoMachine (NX protocol).
On 21/05/2019 14:31, Jethro_uk wrote:

I too can't remember why I stopped using Teamviewer, but suspect it had something to do with money.
I don't know what you mean console session in Linux. Do you mean ssh client, if so why not use MobaXterm (or Putty, if you can handle the mouse button cut/paste dangers)
On Tue, 21 May 2019 19:14:34 +0100, Pancho wrote:

No, I mean access to the *physical* screen of the machine.
A lot of Linux remote solutions create virtual displays (remember, Linux is really Unix. Multi user and session from the ground up).
That said, ssh access is a godsend. I have an aversion to having to clamber around a cupboard to view a physical screen if a machine has stalled on bootup. Which makes it more surprising that there appears to be no "ssh by default" liveCDs out there. I had to roll my own.
On 21/05/2019 21:02, Jethro_uk wrote:

Being picky, Unix is a trademark and Linux is Unix clone or Unix-alike. Specifically, "Linux Is Not UniX."
SteveW
On 21/05/2019 21:50, Steve Walker wrote:

Yeah, BSD isn't Unix either, but it was always called Unix back in the day. Why not just call Linux Unix. Like we call a vacuum cleaner a hoover.
I'm not sure if I have used a kosher Unix for years?
On 21/05/2019 23:37, Pancho wrote:

I think it actually is.Remember back in the day therre was berkely unix and system V unix.
And a dozen different brandings of both - SUNOS, IRIX. etc etc.
but it was always called Unix back in the

I am not sure a kosher unix ever existed. Maybe on a PDP-11...
--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.

On Wed, 22 May 2019 07:59:40 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

When I worked for a large UK manufacturer, SCO Unix was in use ...
On 21/05/2019 21:02, Jethro_uk wrote:

Ah!, consoles, cold server rooms that fill with inert gas in a fire, I remember them now.

Windows NT was designed that way from the ground up, too. It was hobbled afterwards.
Having said that I rarely run any GUI/Windowing systems on *nix. Boot/System problem diagnosis is via a log file.

AIUI a lot of the Linux systems are now designed to be installed using automatic provisioning scripts, so you set up ssh in the provisioning script, presumably with SSH key files. It's been a while since I did one and it tends to go in one ear and out the other.