Why do cars "bong!" when you crash?

On 03/11/2018 22:01, Steven Watkins wrote:

His problem until he rolls back into me. OK it's his insurance, will have to pay, in the long run but... The front of my car is a LOT more delicate than the rear of his . I am more likely to be the one that can't drive of.

An impact at that low a speed (1mph I'd imagine - and the closer you are, the shorter the distance for him to accelerate under gravity) will not make your car undriveable, it would only be cosmetic damage. For goodness sake I rammed a stag at about 90mph and the car still worked. Crumpled bonnet and wing, wheel rubbed at full lock, mirror fallen off, one headlamp destroyed, but that was it.

Sure, but it makes no sense to stop that close, makes much more sense to stop with a bigger gap so even if some stupid does roll back when moving off or because they forget to keep their foot on the brake, you just yawn and carry on regardless.
And if they have a tow bar, they can do considerable damage. Some stupid woman drove out forward out of a supermarket car slot without looking as I was backing out into the same lane and my towbar completely demolished her from bumper.

"Forget to leave their foot on the brake"?! That would be as monumentally daft as forgetting to turn the wheel when you get to a corner.

No, they make a small hole in your bumper. No big deal, they're plastic and won't rust.

I assume you're blaming her because you stopped when you saw her but she continued? Otherwise it sounds equal fault to me.

Not when its flat ground.

Wrong, as always. My tow bar smashed her plastic bumper completely, most of the pieces were lying on the ground.

Pity it aint legal to drive it with no bumper.

No, because I backed out first, she drove out forward later, straight into the back of my car.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a fuckwit.
And irrelevant to the fact that there wasn't just a small hole in her bumper, it was in fact completely demolished with most of the pieces on the ground.
On 03/11/2018 22:56, Steven Watkins wrote:

A car with a towball will wreck your bumper. You then have to prove that he rolled back into you and it wasn't you driving too far forward or setting off prematurely.
SteveW

No, it just makes a small hole which you ignore, or better yet ask the guy for cash to cover it, then keep it.

Get a dashcam if you're that paranoid.

Yep, that's what happened with the stupid cow that drove into my tow bar in the supermarket carpark. smashed her bumper completely, multiple pieces on the road.

Makes more sense to not stop so stupidly close so you just yawn if it rolls back a bit when moving off.
Its to let you know that the recorder has registered it so the little black box can be removed by your insurance company and see what happened, Some air bag actuators do this, though to be honest if one goes off you bloody well know about it!
I guess they are not allowed to go Bing, as that would upset Microsoft.. grin. Luckily I no longer need to try to watch such clips. Also how many are still filmed by bystanders in portrait mode not landscape? Brian
--
----- --
On 03/11/2018 11:04, Brian Gaff wrote:

One or other of:- a) chronically bad design of the device that makes handling difficult in landscape; b) users are stupid.

I fail to see how it can be difficult to hold a phone sideways. In fact most are intended to do that as a webpage etc will turn round as you tilt the phone.
On 03/11/2018 15:42, Steven Watkins wrote:

99% of my photos and videos are portrait. The hold to support the device for looking at webpages in landscape isn't the same as needed to use the camera in landscape.

What on earth are you talking about? Why do you have difficulty holding a rectangular object sideways?
And why don't you think of the result? Why would you want a stupidly shaped video that doesn't fit on a TV or computer monitor properly, and isn't the shape of your field of vision?

The problem is that with the phone in portrait mode, your hand is behind the phone, with the back of your hand pointing at what you are videoing, with your fingers around the vertical sides of the phone so you can still see the entire screen.
With the phone in landscape mode, the back of your hand is between you and the phone so you cant actually see the screen properly to see what you are videoing.

That's a secondary consideration to what muscle memory produces.

Because that approach allows you to see what you are videoing.
On 04/11/2018 00:34, Steven Watkins wrote:

I didn't say I have.

Have you actually read what I have written?

You said it's a different hold to support the device, which can only mean you think it's more difficult.

In fact the problem is that when you hold it in landscape mode, the back of your hand obscures the screen and you cant see what is being videoed, stupid.
On 04/11/2018 17:22, Steven Watkins wrote:

I replied to your claim that taking a picture in landscape is the same as reading the screen in landscape. As though the fact that the picture being the same way round is the only thing of importance.
It remains that it is difficult to take a picture in landscape compared to portrait.
On 05/11/2018 00:23, TMS320 wrote:

For peole with limp wrists perhaps.
Everyone else finds it perfectly simple.
--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Like hell it is. The problem is that with the phone in portrait mode, the back of your hand is between the phone and what you are videoing, below the camera.
In landscape mode, the back of your hand is between the screen and you, so you can't see the screen properly.