Why do cars "bong!" when you crash?

Or you could just, you know, use an actual camera instead.

Reply to
MrTurnip

But, most people, myself include, carry their phone with them. To take a camera requires positive action.

Reply to
charles

I've had this iPhone for a year. I've yet to take a picture with it. Of course that will cost me millions in insurance and years in prison as I ignore these car crashes, plane crashes, and bank holdups that I observe on a daily basis.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Iuse the camera for taking pictures of shop price tags, I can them compare them with on-line prices. Saves writing in a notebook - or trying to remember.

Reply to
charles

I used to have an iPad. Utter piece of garbage. Thankfully it went wrong and I replaced it with an Android tablet which has far more functionality including the 1960s ability to run 2 or more programs at the same time instead of being deliberately crippled not to.

Reply to
MrTurnip

The clock doesn't update itself, it doesn't have gps and it's necessary to drag a non-standard usb cable around with it; it has wifi, but is a battery draining waste of space. The only useful feature over a smartphone is that it takes pictures that can be enlarged.

Reply to
TMS320

I wish my PC would go 'bong' whenever you post yet more utter crap

Reply to
Andrew

Perhaps I'm being thick, but why does a camera need a clock or gps in the first place? Can't you remember where you took it or what time of day it was?

And presumably better pictures with a proper zoom lense unless its a real bargain basement model.

Reply to
MrTurnip

I missed earlier contributions to this thread so perhaps someone else has already pointed out that with iPhones the volume control on the side of the phone is also a shutter control. I take a lot of picture for work with mu iPhone and always use the volume button its so much more practical.

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

No, just hold it with one hand, not two.

That?s the difference.

We were discussing videos, not photos.

We weren't discussing phone v compact/SLR, we were discussing why so many use portrait mode instead of landscape with phones.

Reply to
Aaron

But I tend to know if I'm going somewhere I want to take photos.

I also don't carry my phone around with me 24/7 like a pathetic teenager.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

What's poor about it? Turn the phone sideways, press the button, simple.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

My phone has the shutter bottom of the right hand side when upright, becoming right of the top when in landscape.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Why do you need all that technology to go shopping?! I have a spreadsheet I print off when I shop for food once every 3 weeks. I fill in with a pen which things I have run out of and how many I want. I then go to 4 supermarkets and buy at the cheapest one (the prices are on the spreadsheet). When I get back home I update some of the prices by looking at the receipts.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I'm sure you can read up on how to use a killfile.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Not for every picture taken. The photo of an unremarkable roadside scene has much more value if precise when and where comes with it.

When pictures can be viewed on a proper sized screen, zoom has less importance than in the days when they used to be delivered on small scraps of paper. And where the processor of those small scraps of paper invariably delivered disappointing results compared to what film was capable of.

Reply to
TMS320

That's unusual to need that, and very easy to take a picture of the bit of paper you just wrote that on, along with anything else you want to remember. For example when I take photos in a zoo, I follow each animal photo with a photo of the sign saying what it is.

WTF are you on about? If you want to take a photo of a thing that's a long way away, you need a proper zoom lens, or you end up with the desired object taking up a very small number of pixels in the image.

Reply to
Steven Watkins

Of course an optical zoom is necessary if you want a thing to occupy more pixels.

Let's put it a different way. You put a picture on a monitor and cover it with a mask having a 3½"x5" hole in it. The resolution of what you see through the hole hasn't changed. Now let's say a thing visible through the hole happens to be an inch long.

Back in the days when you got your 3½"x5" prints back, and you wanted that thing to come out an inch long, your only option was to zoom in when you took the picture.

Reply to
TMS320

Bullshit. The object is too small. Enlarge it to monitor size and it l= ooks shit. Zoom in when taking the photo and it's much clearer.

And it still is. If you zoom after you have the picture on the computer= , you don't have enough pixels to make it crisp.

This is assuming you don't have a camera/phone with infinite resolution.=

Reply to
Steven Watkins

I doubt a picture of an unremarkable roadside scene would have any value if you stuck a neon flashing sign there giving the exact time and co-ordinates with an attached funfair.

You clearly don't understand what a zoom lens is for. But then you take all your pictures on a phone so no surprises there I guess.

Reply to
MrTurnip