Where to buy some small bolts

I may be telling you things you already know but if you're masking the front of the lens then counter intuitively you may need to mask the *bottom* because that's the bit which shines up and dazzles. It all depends on the optical arrangement. Try it against a wall.

Reply to
Calvin Sambrook

Interesting bit of medical ethics, there?

David

Reply to
Lobster

ROFLMAO

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Toolstation sell nifty little assortments of nuts, bolts, washers, e clips, circlips, split pins, self tappers etc (in different boxes of course). Very useful to carry on the van.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Not really. He's in the same club that we are and we both knew his name anyway. He was very happy to have company for a while and a friendly doctor. We made sure that he and his bike were able to get home the next day (especially the bike).

Reply to
PeterC

In message , tonyjeffs writes

Coming in late on the original question, if you can find them, there should be some really good engineers' suppliers in Liverpool.

I'm closer to Birkenhead, and there's a J R Webster (opposite a Toolstation and Screwfix and near Cammell Lairds), that has helpful staff and have sold me odd bolts and other similar devices. In Wallasey Bestco has also been good. They may only do larger bolts, though.

The thing about these places as opposed to the sheds is that they seem to be staffed by real people, sometimes even with a sense of humour. They are usually pretty competitive and will sell things in ones.

I was appalled when I realised how much Wickes had charged me for penny washers. Since B&Q installed the do it yourself checkouts with the electronic woman shouting at me I've bought nothing there.

Reply to
Bill

They are rubbish, aren't they? Always some broken so they won't give you the choice of cards or cash. And nowhere to put larger parts. But usually quicker than queueing at a checkout.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

fine.

Assuming there is a reflector. I doubt there is with the lamp in question as it's an array of 24 (IIRC) LEDS.

Aim to prevent glare might be tricky as well as LEDs tend not to have a very well defined cut off.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

If you're anywhere near Northampton I have some quite small ones (and fasteners as well). If you're really stuck, e-mail me the dimensions and quantity; if you need only 2 - 4 I'll drop some in the post if I have them.

Reply to
PeterC

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009 09:14:41 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" had this to say:

They're a pain when you're buying, for example, a length of chain or cable which has to be checked off against the photograph album and the barcode hand-scanned accordingly. When that happens the checkout attendant seems to disappear for his/her teabreak, so you again have to queue at a 'normal' checkout.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

electronic

Utterly, I refuse to use them in any shop. Too slow to scan, too finickity about where you put things "Unexpected item on ...".

The stores obviusly have them as they don't have to pay a checkout operator so if they passed that saving on in the form of say a 5% discount they might be a little more acceptable.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm glad its not just me (though I do use them). They seem to have been designed by someone who has never been shopping in their life. Either I MUST put items in the "bagging area" (I'm not allowed to just carry the item or put it in the trolley one I've scanned it) or I must NOT put items in ("unexpected item...."). The sooner all items have a simple RFID tag on them and we can just walk through the checkout without putting anything on the checkout the better.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

I use them if there's a smaller queue. One joke is I sometimes buy Becks no alcohol beer - I don't drink alcohol much these days. And it needs approval... For those who haven't tried it - it tastes pretty good for a non alcoholic beer. Any other recommendations welcome.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

My local supermarket here in Melbourne has them and I now use them by choice - great to be able to pay for $5 of goods with a ex ATM $50 note and not feel embarrassed, likewise being able to get rid of a pile of small coins that somehow seem to accumulate. Before I emigrated I always had problems with the ones in Tesco though.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Recently noticed a machine in Morrisons. Bung in all your change and it prints a voucher you can use at the checkout.

Badly placed - just at the checkout exit...

Reply to
Bob Eager

I don't know if this applies if taking the money as a voucher, but those machines charge commission.

Owain

Reply to
ACE

I wasn't close enough to see. And I didn't have my glasses!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Some Barclays branches have a coin counting machine for customer use, pays direct into account, no commission, but does tend to fill up after a few hundred quid.

Reply to
Andy Burns