Where to buy a non-condensing boiler?

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Suck on this:

Richard

Been there already, no matches.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you want to have one installed, I guess you'll have to find an installer:

then follow the link for the SEDBUK ratings and try to find one with an efficiency rating of C or worse. If you can find one which is currently manufactured, search for that. This should keep you busy for a while.

HTH

Reply to
Richard

It's against the law, I'd install it myself, I just need the boiler.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If you're not capable of fitting and plumbing up a condensate drain, best stop now.

Reply to
Fredxxx

Don't make assumptions. I wanted a boiler which would last a long time. Condensing boilers don't last as long.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No assumption made.

The difference is very slight in being one has a condensate trap etc, which I might add has no moving parts and is perhaps the most reliable part of a boiler.

The only exception to that is where the condensate is subject to freezing conditions

Reply to
Fredxxx

:

lers_and_heating/2

You assumed I couldn't fit the condensate drain.

It's the acid that causes the problem.

"Reliability

Condensing boilers are claimed to have a reputation for being less relia= ble and may also suffer if worked on by installers and plumbers who may = not understand their operation.[8] Claims of unreliability have been con= tradicted by research carried out by the UK-based Building Research Esta= blishment (see Myths below.)

In particular, the problem of 'pluming' arose with early installations o= f condensing boilers, in which a white plume of condensed vapour (as min= uscule droplets) becomes visible at the outlet flue. Although unimportan= t to boiler operation, visible pluming was an aesthetic issue that cause= d much opposition to condensing boilers.

A more significant issue is the slight acidity of the condensate liquid.= Where this is in direct contact with the boiler's heat exchanger, parti= cularly for thin aluminium sheet, it may give rise to more rapid corrosi= on than for traditional non-condensing boilers. Older boilers may also h= ave used thick cast heat exchangers, rather than sheet, which had slower= time constants for their response but were also resistant, by their she= er mass, to any corrosion. The acidity of the condensate means that only= some materials may be used: stainless steel and aluminium are suitable,= mild steel, copper or cast iron are not.[9] Poor design or construction= standards may have made the heat exchangers of some early condensing bo= ilers less long-lived.

Initial testing and annual monitoring of the heat transfer fluid in cond= ensing boilers with aluminium or stainless steel heat exchangers is high= ly recommended. Maintenance of a slightly alkaline (pH 8 to 9) liquid wi= th anti-corrosion and buffering agents reduces corrosion of the aluminiu= m heat exchanger. Some professionals believe that the condensate produce= d on the combustion side of the heat exchanger may corrode an aluminium = heat exchanger and shorten boiler life. Statistical evidence is not yet = available since condensing boilers with aluminium heat exchangers have n= ot been in use long enough."

-- =

What is it when a man talks nasty to a woman? Sexual Harassment. What is it when a woman talks nasty to a man? =A33.99 a minute.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Or the condensate uses a sump with a purge pump (to avoid the freezing problem by discharging a volume of warm water rather than a continuous drip)

Reply to
Tim Watts
[snip]

You do realise that Wikipedia represents one person's opinion and cannot be taken as an authoritative exposition on the subject?

Reply to
Scott

Well when it works well its many peoples opinions

When its written by commercial or political advocates it is pure propaganda.

Wiki on climate change is the least reliable of sources. For example.

In the 1960s Communist party activists were taught to infiltrate all the sources of the media in order to present the politically correct narrative to the sheeple. They succeded remarkably well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Pretty much like posts on here then.

Reply to
mechanic

Why do you believe that to be wrong?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

It's not written by one person. And I've read about the acid on many websites.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

How can it be so difficult to have the pipe indoors?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Okay, how many people wrote it? And by the way:

"This article needs additional citations for verification. Please help improve this article by adding citations to reliable sources. Unsourced material may be challenged and removed. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)"

I wouldn't rely on it but in the post-truth era you can of course believe what you want.

Reply to
Scott

About 10:

It's more reliable than any other webpage, which IS written by one person, and not challenged.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Okay, fair enough. I did not appreciate that so much input had gone into it.

Fair point. I use Wikipedia a lot but always with a degree of scepticism.

Reply to
Scott

I usually believe it, since anything that's written as an opinion is soon edited or deleted. Even their articles on global warming just state what different scientists have said, they don't say which are correct.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword