Where to buy a non-condensing boiler?

Anyone still sell non-condensing boilers over in the USA, or anywhere else? The British companies are all stocking that condensing fragile s**te that wears out faster.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Don't you silly Brits know how to google?

noname

I wanted a boiler, not a blast furnace. This size:

James Wilkinson Sword

You asked for a boiler, you silly brit. Learn to be more specific.

Reply to
Jackson Brown

And what I showed you is a boiler. I believe you yanks call them furnaces? The thing that heats the water for the radiators around your house (and also for hot taps in your sinks/baths).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Only people ignorant of proper terminology call them furnaces. Boilers heat water, furnaces heat air.

The Weil McLain shown are very typical of heating boilers in the US.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A bit cumbersome. Ours tend to be about 16x13x26 inches, and are mounted on a wall, usually in the kitchen, sometimes hidden inside a cupboard. The flue goes straight through the outside wall, no need for a chimney.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

My house doesn't have radiators. Ductwork for the heated (in winter) or cooled (in summer) air to circulate. It's extremely common hereabouts.

Hot water is provided by the water heater.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

I wonder why a lot of Americans went for air heating, while Brits went for water heating. Doesn't air make a noise? And a draught? Plus pipes are thinner than air ducts, so take up less space. I'm finding it hard to think of an advantage of air heating.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

The only time air heating is better is when coupled with cooling for the summer. In a proper layout, each room has a lower outlet for heat and upper outlet for cooling.

In theory, air should be better as you can condition the air as needed. You can filter, heat, cool, humidify, dehumidify as needed. Few systems are built proerly.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Why would you need two outlets? Just blow hot or cold air through the same one, like in a car.

I wonder if you could cool a house much by running ice cold water round water filled radiators.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

easy upgrade path for central air conditioning

Reply to
Jimbo

You've got me thinking. I'm planning to fit air conditioning, but I need two outlets, as I want my bedroom cooler. You can get dual ones, with two "radiators" indoors, but they cost almost twice as much. I wonder if I could fit some ducting so it could optionally blow the air into another room? I'd probably encounter problems with the resistance of the duct slowing the air down.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Most cars have heat outlets near the floor and vent/AC on the dash. Hot air rises, cold air sinks, this the idea of upper and lower outlets. Better air circulation.

Yes, if you have a chiller you can run cold water to cool a house. Many commercial units work that way. The ones we built where I worked in the

69's were coils with a fan.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

A lot of older homes in the U.S. have boilers and radiators. Most of our housing stock is post WWII. It takes considerably less skill to install duct (you don't care if it leaks) than piping.

A white-noise whooshing. I've had forced-air heat all my life, so I don't really notice it.

I consider that a feature. It moves my husband's farts around and dissipates them.

I have a single-story house. All of the ducts run through the basement, up into the walls, where there's a grate just below knee level for the air to come out. For two-story homes, the ducts are sized to fit between the studs in interior walls.

The big one for me is air-conditioning. It gets very hot and humid in the summer, and I'm grateful to be able to keep the house at

20 C when the outdoors is more than 30 C.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

Pipes don't need skill to install. Not since compression fittings were invented so you don't have to solder them. I've done plenty myself with no training (including a gas pipe!). And speedfit is even easier.

That's the sort of noise I hate. And silence is golden, especially when trying to get to sleep.

Yuck!

That reminds me, my parents' house has a fireplace. It sucks air up the chimney, drawing it in through the bathroom window and through the lounge. Most unpleasant if someone's just gone to the toilet.

I've seen the odd house with vents in the floor. I assume it's a heating duct.

Don't most folk just have a seperate AC unit?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

If it's being blown, height is irrelevant. The only reason for vents in different places it to demist the window or dry off your feet.

I'm not sure how effective it would be just shoving cold water in a radiator. I guess it would mainly concern the temperature difference between the room and the water. If we take room temperature as 20C, and icy water as 0C, and hot radiator water as 70C, then you've got a 20C difference instead of a 50C difference, so 2/5ths as powerful.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Senseless repetition detected, killfile activated.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

We have cold-air returns in the floor. Some houses have them in the walls instead.

The very best air-conditioning is central AC that uses the existing ductwork. Anything else is a compromise. When we bought this house, it had a window AC unit in the living room. It was hard-pressed to cool the bedrooms at the opposite end of the house. Next year, we replaced the furnace with a modern one that combined heating and cooling features.

Cindy Hamilton

Reply to
Cindy Hamilton

The odd thing is, most houses I've seen them in also have electric (storage) heaters.

I don't use doors much. I have my bedroom door shut to keep the cats out of it, and because I like it cooler than the rest of the house. But every other door is either normally open, or removed. So I'd only need two AC units, one for the main house, and one for the bedroom.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword